News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Old bottle of Naval Jelly... Keep or Trash?

Started by Bill Gauch, March 07, 2006, 04:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gauch

I have an old (maybe 7 years) bottle of naval jelly that I noticed the other day in my garage. I never opened it or used it. Heck, I dont even remember why I bought it. Maybe for an old boat trailer... Anyway, I seem to recall past (about 15 years ago) experience using it proved it somewhat ineffective for removing rust without much vigorous wire brushing. Its entirely possible that I was too impatient and didnt leave it on long enough. Shortly after buying this bottle, I heard/read that it didnt really work all that well.

So, my questions are as follows: Is it still good or would the potency have reduced? Next, if it is still good, how does it compare to modern super-duper magic rust removers?

Chris Braun

Id say... try it!!!  Naval jelly needs to sit for a while to work.  I left my oil breather cap, which was rather rusty, in a baby jar of it overnight, and in the A.M. it looked brand new.  I rinsed it with gas, then H20, painted it, oiled it, and threw it back on.  Of course, I lost it somehow about a year later, but thats another story.