News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado power streering

Started by Joel Freeman, March 13, 2006, 06:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Freeman

I am trying to rebuild my power steering pump on my 81 Eldorado but i cant seem to find a good way to get the pulley off of the pump. I have the correct allen wrench size but i cannot keep the pulley from moving. Any advice?

John #22631

Joel,
 Im 90percent sure that the pulley is pressed on. If Im wrong someone will correct me real quick.
John

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

The pulley is pressed on, and it has a groove machined into the hub, about 3/16" from the face for the attachment of the special puller.

But any puller whose fingers/sides will fit in the groove can be used.

NEVER drive it off or on with a hammer, any sort of hammer.

Care must be taken when reinstalling the pulley as the threaded hole in the shaft is for the installation tool J-25033, but what I do is use a long thread, insert it in the shaft thread, then with a large washer and nut, wind the pully back on.   Lubricating the nut and using two washers stops a lot of friction and makes instalation easier.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

denise 20352

I bought the special tools on Ebay.  If I remember right, there was one to remove and one to install, and the kit costs about $4.  The shipping cost more than the tool.

-denise

joel freeman

I figured it was pressed on.  I had a friend tell me it was threaded on but that seems impossible. I guess i will be getting some pulley pullers here shortly.

joel freeman

Oh yeah, and thanks for the help!