News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37-48 Flathead exhaust systems

Started by Frank DeCou CLC #12231, March 13, 2006, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank DeCou CLC #12231

What vendor offers the best 37 - 48 exhaust systems for fit, delivery and price?  Mine needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Frank DeCou

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi Frank- I have had good success from Waldron`s in Michigan. Phone 800-503-9428. I have used them for both my 41 and 47 but only for the muffler and tail pipe. Both fit like original. If at all possible save and use your front pipe from manifold to muffler. This pipe seems to be a difficult pipe to bend for some shops as the bend needs to be perfect to clear the pump and line up with the muffler.The original front pipe on the flat head seems to have a good survival rate. I re-used both on my cars. A good wire brush or light sand blasting with some high temp paint and the front pipe is very presentable.If you are going to put on new insulation on the front pipe, do it with the front pipe off the car as it makes the installation a lot easier.  

Larry Good, CLC 1317 (?)

Bill, how quiet are the mufflers you bought from Waldron?  The muffler I have now was loud from the beginning.  I want something really quiet.

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi Larry- The muffler is quiet. The sound is A typical of a flat head Cad engine.I have their mufflers on both my 41 and 47. Most of the louder muffler systems I have heard are from stainless steel mufflers and pipes.  

Doug Houston

I expect to have stainless systems on all of my cars, if I live that long. They may be a tad less quiet, but I already have them on my 38-60S and 41 Chevy. They sound good to me, so Im happy. there are systems here waiting for two 41 Cadillacs, my 39-90 and my 41 Oldsmbile. the big  reason is not having to replace rusted away pipes in the spring.

If you like the regular systems, go for them. Im just tired of rotted pipes and mufflers.