News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Steering gearbox seal

Started by Ed Farish, March 16, 2006, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Farish

I am in need of the Pitman shaft seal for my 49 Cadillac.
Local parts houses havent been able to come up with anything.
I cant pull it out to measure for fear of ruining what I have.
Any help appreciated.
Ed  clc#4095

Jeff Maltby 4194

No idea Ed. Is your seal leaking or ?

Ed Farish

Jeff,
Im having the gear box overhauled at a local shop. The problem is not so much leaking because pitman arm is on top of box. My concern is water and dirt getting in. The insides of the seal have crumbled and left about a 1/16 gap between shaft and seal.
Ed

Jeff Maltby 4194

Ed. What might your rebuilders idea of an overhaul consist of ?

Jeff 49ers

Mick

Hello Ed.
The best place to look for seals is under Bearings dealers listing at the yellow pages. They have all sizes for industrial applications. By dimensions; not by What car is it for? Forget about car parts stores.

If you can take to them the whole steering box with the bad seal in it, there is a chance they will find a selection of matches before venturing to remove it.
Good luck and come back with results.
Mick

Warren Rauch

The Cadillac parts book calls for a PACKING on 42-52 non power steering models. Could what your seeing be a shriveled up packing that only needs more packing material added to it? Warren

Ed Farish

Warren,
That sounds correct according to the way it looked, but its too late now.
Seal #11055 NAPA has been located and pressed in.
Thanks to everyone who responded.
Ed