News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1983 SDV Steering Box Leak

Started by George Woodford clc21025, March 20, 2006, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Woodford clc21025

I have a leak from the steering box just above where the pitman arm attaches to the staft.  It is my understanding you could replace the seals, or would draining the reservoir and filling with new fluid and steering gear sealant stop the leak? Any other ideas besides replacing the steering gear?

Gene Roqueplot #19950

Hi George
I had the same problem on my sons 83. You need to remove the gear box from the car and disassemble it.Then you will see where the seal rubs on the shaft. Mine was rusty/pitted and thus the reason for the leak! I took mine into work and took it to the machine shop. They put it on a surface grinder lathe with a 2 inch wide wheel and just cleaned it up (almost a 100percent). I was there and it just took a lite amount of the surface off. I was worried about too much being taken off and the seal not having enough pressure to seal. But it worked great! No more leak/drips! The only problem was getting the system to quit foaming! I ended up just letting it sit overnite after filling up the resovior and running the car and watching it foam over!
Good Luck
Gene

George Woodford clc21025

It appears the nut holding the pitman arm is 1 5/16-inch, 6-point.  Where do you find a socket to fit this nut to torque it properly to 185 lbs? 1 5/16 seems to be an odd size, and Sears doesnt have it.

George Woodford clc21025

I purchased a socket 1 5/16 inch 1/2 inch drive on Ebay for $10.  Installed new rebuilt Delco Steering Gear Box.  I also replaced my oxygen sensor.  Replacing the oxygen sensor would appear to be a simple task.  Once the sensor is removed, you have to straighten the threads before installing the new one.