News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 vacuum system

Started by Redvers Charles, March 22, 2006, 01:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redvers Charles

I had no luck last time so Im trying again ,Im in New zealand so I cant just go down the road and look at another 53 there just aint that many here. What I need is a schematic for the vacuum lines on a 53 the radio antenna system the windshield washer system and the vacuum pump in fact all systems found on a 53. Ill be very greatfull for your help thank you.

Philippe M. Ruel

Hello, the shop manual features no specific description of vacuum lines routing, so I can try to describe routing on my own 52 :

A steel tube starts from the fuel/vacuum pump backwards, between intake manifold and engine block.
It turns to rubber at the back of the engine, and goes to the lower end of a metal T on the firewall, below right (passengers side) of the windshield wiper motor. This T is vertical, with upper, lower and left (drivers side) ends.
T s upper end leads to the windshield wiper motor next to it, left end leads to the windshield washer pump inside the washer jar cover.
There is another T separating lines between the windshield washer and the radio antenna. I will give you details about this part tonight (tomorrow morning for you) as I have to do some work on my car in the afternoon. I can email you pictures, too.

Hope this can help, this is for a left-hand-drive car (I guess New Zealand cars are right-hand-drive - which kind is your 53 ?).

Philippe M. Ruel

[to complete my former message]
I went and saw my car this afternoon.
It appears that the T has a lower end (from the vacuum pump), an upper end (to the windshield wiper motor), and a third end leading INSIDE the passenger compartment, through the firewall.
This ends features a Y next to the radio. One end of this Y leads to the radio, from which TWO other rubber tubes are linked, one to raise the antenna, one to lower it.
These three tubes (two antenna tubes plus the one from the other end of the Y) run under the dash panel to a hole far left (drivers side) in the firewall, next to the main harness hole. The tubes then lead respectively to the antenna (top and bottom) and to the windshield washer.

I took some pictures, I can email them.

Redvers Charles

Thanx Phillip and Jack I will have a go at this part of my project tommorrow which by the way is an eldorado