News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Water Pumps, 1936-48

Started by Doug. Houston, March 23, 2006, 11:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug. Houston

There was a thread here a while back where someone had some tips for rebuilfing water pumps on the engines for 1936-1948. He had a better approach to it than the standard seal kits. Does anyone know who it is, or where he may be contacted?

I have two bad ones now, and Im tired of rebuilding the pumps that last for only a couple of years.

Frank DeCou CLC #12231

Send me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy of the instructions and parts list that I prepared a few years ago.

Frank DeCou

baxter culver #17184

Doug,
Contact Egge Machine http://www.egge.com TARGET=_blank>www.egge.com for a complete rebuild kit.  Includes new shaft, seals (lip not packing)impeller, and bearings/bushing.  Costs about $48.  The way to go if you want to fix your flathead water pump.

Doug. Houston

Thanks to both of you kind souls. Ive used the Egge kits, and they  do a wonderful job. I think Ill try the "alternate" method now, and see what happens. Youre both wonderful!

baxter culver #17184

Doug,
What is the "alternate"?  I know only of the change from packing to a lip seal.  The Egge kit includes that change but also provides the rest of the parts.  One only needs an intact housing to build a pump.  So, again, what is the alternative?  I am about to build a spare and would really like to know.

W.Y. Lamb

Try the guys at ...

Terrill Machine, Inc.
Route 2,  Box 61
De Leon, TX 76444
(254) 893-2610

Will Lamb (CLC-16955)

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

The alternative is a modern mechanical seal such as a carbon face against ceramic.  Not sure who is the best deal right now.  I had mine done in 00 by the Flying Dutchman in OR.  It has not had the test of many miles yet but it started up perfect.  As a point of interest the 38 Cadillac V-16 was one of the first OEM automotive water pump mechanical seals.  It was not a good design and has been the source of much frustration by late V-16 owners.  They should not be repaired by using the factory duplicate parts available.  A modern mechanical seal can easily be adapted to the design.  Much easier than the V-8 water pump which was not designed for a mechanical seal.  One thing to keep in mine is a mechanical seal can fail catastrophically as opposed to the slow leaking of packing and lip seals.  I used the lip seals in my spare V-8 pump.  That should insure that I will get home without a total failure.

Doug Houston

Brad is sure right about the pumps on the V16 cars from 38-40. The pump was designed to a degree after the Pontiac water pump from 1933-1954, and I believe, both 6 and 8 cylinder cars. If you bought the Pontiac seal kit, part number 509121, you had the seal kit for the V16 exactly, with a couple of pieces left over.

I was at Hershey, many years ago, before interest in Pontiacs came up. A guy had a bunch of seal kits there for a buck or so each. I bought all he had, and he showed me that he also had new complete pumps. He asked what year Pontiac I had, and I said that I didnt have a Pontiac. Then, the logical question: Then, why do you want all of those kits? I answered:" I like them!". I split before he could drop a net over me.

Oh, by the way, the Michigan CCCA sells kits for those water pumps. Guess where they got got the pieces to duplicate?

Jeff Maltby 4194

At long last. We are ready to go with super water pumps. They fit all V8 Cadillacs and La Salles from 1937-48. After much research, we found fabricating shafts of stainless steel & bronze impellers to be our best answer.

$52.50 exhange with your old core or $62 outright.

:<)

baxter culver #17184

Jeff,
send me an e-mail.  I havent been able to contact you at either the address here on the message board or at the address in the membership book.  I want to discuss your water pumps.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Baxter. Im not selling these waterpumps. I was quoting the 1976 self starter 4 sale ad I came across recently.

Jeff

baxter culver #17184

Got me.  I guess it would help if I read the entire subject line.  So, back to Egge for a kit order.

Eric #21241

I just bought a 37 Cadillac. The first thing  my mechanic friend who has worked on several early Cadillacs told me was get a spare water pump and have it machined with new greasless bearings at "Arms pumps" in Berkeley Ca. Telephone 510 843 2767.
I had it done and was very impressed, he machined a new pump shaft and adapted a super heavy duty modern bearing and seal that never need any maintanence. It will probably outlast the engine very professional, theyve done it on on several different pumps on vintage cars. I highly recommend them