News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

38 Codes Can you help?

Started by Thom Wells #21841, March 31, 2006, 06:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thom Wells #21841

My 38 is 38-7533

Body: 210
Trim: 4903
Paint: 6W

Can you help me deciphr these?

Thanks a million,

Thom #21841

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Paint #6 (dont know what your w is, is Pelham Grey, which is nearly black. Im sorry, I dont have the upholstery codes.

Thom Wells #21841

Where can I find paint chips for Pelham Gray?

Thanks so much,
Thom

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Thom, my opinion is the 4903 is actually a SO[special order} which wipes out the paint & upholstery codes. The 6W means its a 6 wheel[side mounted] car. You need to buy the invoice from Cadillac. Bob

Thom Wells #21841

Wow!

I have just ordered.  This is quite a special car.  I know it was in New Orleans since the mid 50s.  I am very anxious to restore it correctly.  Hopefully the research will get me started correctly.  I want this to be just right.  My first car was a 1938 75 Limo, from the Ringlings boyhood home and mine of McGregor, Iowa.

Doug Houston

Dont be too optimistic about locating formulas for any paint color for our vintage cars. Color chips that were supplied by paint companies in their manuals were only a close guide to your color. Their formula was what got you your proper color paint. Thats still true for paint charts today.

Today, the mixing colors are all history, even though you may have the formulas from the past. Im currently having my 41 Cadillac convertible repainted. I painted it in 1969, and bought the original color, mixed from  Rinshed-Masons formulas. Today, we have had to choose a near-match from paint chips to re-do the car. The original colors are simply not there.

If you can find an accurate sample of the color you want, you can do what I have had to do, and find a close match.

John Binder

Dear Thom,

Some time ago we had to repaint one fender of an older repaint on a 60 Cadillac  we were pretty sure it was not the exact
orignal color.  We went to a Carquest store in the area that supplies local body shops This particular one was a DUPONT dealer. They brought out a small han held scope and took several Shots of the existing paint to get an averaged reading,
back inside this found the correct formula (made up of I believe 6 tints in small amounts) This matched PERFECTLY, turned out it was an IHC Truck white.  

To match an original color you may want to lightly hand compound a spot or two on the inside of the trunk lid or behind somewhere (interior trim panel ?) the sun has not faded it.
To remove any dirt or oxidation, before scope-ing it and have them mix you just a small test batch first.

Good Luck In the GREAT RACE ! send updates to the Board if you can !

bill henry

it is called running a prophet on the paint . most autobody supply shops can do it.

Dennis Buchholz

Go to Autocolorlibrary.com  They have the codes and the paint.

Thom Wells #21841

Thanks a million John,

We will keep everyone in touch!

Thom Wells