News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 cadillac engine rebuild

Started by anthony, April 03, 2006, 02:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthony

my engine guy has asked me to track down a set of 40 thou over bearings for my engine crank. a full set inc the big end. 30thou seems to be the norm. does anyone know who stocks the 40 thou type?
any help would be appreciated.
regards
anthony

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Anthony,

As far as .040 Undersize bearings specifically for the engine, I think you may be out of luck.

But, fear not, I am sure that if you gave the Bearing Suppliers the Inner, Outer, Width, and Crush dimentions you require, then there may be bearings that will fit the bill from another engine that might simply require minor modifications to make them fit.

One of the problems with grinding any Journal too much is that there is a risk of cutting too deep, and therefore weakening the shaft.

If I understand correctly, the Cadillac Shafts were constructed by Forging, and it might be the simplest solution to have the Machine Shop build the journals up, using the tried and proven method of welding, and then machine back to standard size.

Or, go to the wild side and weld up one side of the journal and grind for an increase in Stroke.   More Cubes, More Power.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

ANHTONY

thank you bruce. i will ask the engine guy which way he wants to go. regards
anthony

anthony

hello bruce
i notice that you are very knowledgable re 1955 cadillacs. i have dumb questions now and then as i am rebuilding my 55 convertible. i was wondering if you could email me on daf@webone.com.au so we can comunicate direct. (hope you do not mind me aking) i am quessing you are in tasmania. i am in canberra. regards
anthony

baxter culver #17184

Try http://www.egge.com. TARGET=_blank>www.egge.com.  They show .040 rod bearings for the 55 331 engine.  There are other suppliers in the US as well.  Coopers, Terrill Machine, etc.

anthony burr

THANKS BAXTER
I WILL TRY BOTH OF THE PLACES YOU SUGGESTED
REGARDS
ANTHONY