News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LUVDG

Started by Randolph Hane clc#22326, April 05, 2006, 06:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randolph Hane clc#22326

I know its old news, but interesting!                                                                        BURNED by Classic Car Dealer on eBay Motors rip off *REBUTTAL

Company
Cars of Yesterday, Inc. / Marv Friedman & ebay Motors
Address:
1900 S. Ocean Blvd.
Pompano Beach Florida 33062
U.S.A.
Phone Number:
(954) 784-4165, cell:(954) 895-7940
Fax:

BURNED by Classic Car Dealer on EBAY MOTORS

Dear Sir,

I have recently been burned by a Classic Car Dealer who has a substantial presence on eBay Motors and other online venues. This is without question the most unprofessional and deceptive business encounter I have ever experienced.

The car I bought was supposed to be a complete restoration yielding a car that “looks and runs, as new”. Through a series of very deceptive advertisement, email and telephone correspondence, Marv Friedman (owner?), consistently hyped the car far beyond its true condition.

In his eBay Ad (which I can produce) the headline read, "Best in World"! Marv repeatedly used extreme hyperbole to describe the condition of his restored car such as "Perfect", "As New," "Showroom Condition" ......Well, Far from it.

The condition of the car was not even close to those lofty characterizations. The net loss for my particular transaction with “Cars of Yesterday, Inc.(Pompano Beach, FL) was nearly $9000 over a period of less than two weeks. Heck, I never even drove the car off the lot! Im not alone here as I have recently become acquainted with two other buyers who have experienced similar problems with this same car dealer.

I request your advice regarding any potential recourse that I may have.

The eBay Auction

After agreeing to pay $19,000 for the car (6/14/01), a 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible, I hired an inspection service to check it out. The inspector approved the vehicle mechanically and gave a good report of the overall condition. At this point, Marv induced me to pay in full (not just the 20percent deposit as specified on his eBay Ad), using the hook of "other higher offers are waiting in the wings". Since the car passed inspection and Marv assured me of the cars “As New” condition, I reluctantly wired him the full amount. Stupid move on my part. Five days later I flew to S. Florida from my home in Kentucky to pick up the car. Its condition was in no way indicative of Marvs hype. I hated it! Many, many serious flaws. My discoveries include but are not limited to:

o Oil pooling on top of engine manifold. Marv seemed surprised & could not explain.

o Front seats are split apart badly on both sides. ......ref.: email; “Interior As New?”

o Nothing about the Dash is New as promised. ........ref.: email; “Interior As New?”

o Instrument panel is badly faded and very dull. ” ” ” ” ” ?

o Wear on steering wheel so bad that it was covered by a cheap wrap. ” ” ?

o Metal toggle switch (Like something from Radio Shack?!) on main instrument panel, has been used to replace the power-top button. ” ” ” ” ” ?

o Rust on the bumpers and under body side molding. (Ad reads: Car has Zero rust. Chrome done to “Pebble Beach” standards “like surgical chrome.”)

o Body side molding (rt.side) bowed, hanging loosely due to rusted out fasteners. Glob of super glue (or equiv.) visible in an unsuccessful attempt to attach molding to body.

o Could not get rear speaker to work.

o Car has many, many obvious flaws throughout. In no way could this car be indicative of “Best in World”, “As New” or “Showroom Condition”.

After my personal inspection I informed Marv that the car was in no way indicative of his Ad or our phone and email correspondence. I then asked for a refund. He blew up. The more flaws I pointed out, the angrier he got.

[He was quick to point out that he has a Ph.D. and is worth 20 Million and what a crybaby I was for rebuking his car and his deceptive tactics.] He refused to entertain a refund of any sort.

At this point I became very concerned realizing I did NOT want to drive this car home. In fact, I was very unsure if it was even capable of making the 1000 mile journey.

I pleaded with Marv to work with me and after apologizing for offending him (regarding the poor condition of his car) asked him to please work with me on this. After calming down, he begrudgingly agreed to re-market the car on eBay and through Hemmings.com, but only after I signed a contract accepting the car and limiting his re-marketing efforts to 30 days.

After that, the car was completely my problem. We went to the copy center where he angrily typed up a contract. Viewing this as my best hope of regaining most of my money, I reluctantly signed his newly drafted contract and flew back home, very disappointed.

After my return home, I became uneasy with passing this car onto the next guy via Marvs marketing tactics and so again focused my efforts on a Buyback from Marv. He flatly refused my request for him to buyback the car, keeping a 20percent fee ($3800) for his time and trouble. Obviously, his other “higher offers” were fictional. Finally, my offer to sell the car back to him for $11,000 was attractive enough for him to bite. We agreed on this price and that is how the transaction ended. In a little over a week, I was out over $8000 plus expenses. My total cost for this mess...about $9000, and I never drove the car off of his lot. BUYER BEWARE!

In Marvs defense

o His eBay advertisement (see below) does have a legal disclaimer that basically says that
the Ad is meaningless.
o His Ad welcomes a personal inspection and/or a mechanics inspection.
o Unfortunately, my mechanics inspection DID okay the car prior to payment. I later realized he was viewing the car from the perspective of “ it looks great for a 1970 model” whereas I was expecting, “a near perfect restoration” as advertised. The company I dealt with “Inspection Solutions” a.k.a. “LemmonBusters”, does not arrange for a pre-inspection conversation between the buyer and the inspector.
o His photographs of the car were excellent, however, he was careful to omit the front half of the interior which is where most of the obvious problems were. Prior to purchase I asked him to clarify this area with additional photos which he never produced. On the phone Marv specifically told me that the interior (as well as the rest of the car) was “just like a new car on the showroom floor in 1970”. Balogna!
o I did see other cars at his local that at least appeared to be very nice. Certainly, much nicer than mine.

Lessons Learned, Am I Stuck ?

Attached, please find Marvs eBay advertisement and email correspondence regarding the car. Also, I have a copy of the re-marketing contract that Marv demanded I sign on the very day I had planned to drive the car home. Additionally, I can put you in touch with one or two others who have been burned by this guy. Based on my terrible experience with Marv, Im convinced hell continue to operate in this deceptive manner. The company address/contact info is:

Cars of Yesterday, Inc.
1900 S. Ocean Blvd. , Apt. 5T
Pompano Beach, FL 33062
Attn. Marvin Friedman A.K.A. Marvin Allan
Richard Hofberg, President
Phone/Fax: (954) 784-4165, cell:(954) 895-7940
Marvs email(s): Proftailpipe@aol.com
professortailpipe@AutoSmartUSA.com (Marv has some tie to AutoSmartUSA.com)
His assistant Ricks email is LUVDG@aol.com
He presently advertises his cars on eBay as Proftailpipe, Doctortailpipe and LUVDG
Heres Marv: http://hometown.aol.com/proftailpipe/ TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/proftailpipe/

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.

Best regards,

J.C. Barjuca
859-543-1670
859-296-1449

=================

FROM MY eMAIL LOG

Subj: Re: 70 Deville
Date: 01-05-25 07:59:10 EDT
To: Jcbarjuca

I can go take more photos....Dash & interior is AS NEW...but before I do that, you should know my reserve was $19,975...and the least I can accept is $19,000...this is a 2000 hour restoration...if interested...please give me a call at (954) 895-7940...and thanks for your bids and interest.

Sincerely;

Marv

=========================

Date: 01-06-12 20:00:21 EDT

Regarding his report...The seats are original...and are in incredible condition....they show the use of the actual mileage on this car....57,000....but are NOT worn-out, cut, faded,etc...The dash & door panels are perfect...Carpet is all brand new...the cut on the door panel is 1/4 on an inch...a drop of super-glue...and youll not even be able to find it.

I already fixed the power steering leak (a drop) All I had to do was tighten the clamp.

The turn signals and back up-lights are being fixed in the AM...just let me know if you want 2...or 3 seat belts in the back seat.

Thanks;

Marv

====================

Subj: Re: 1970 DeVille Inspection
Date: 01-06-11 23:52:42 EDT

Congratulations Chris....no B/S...youve bought the best 70 Deville Convertible on the planet...the inspectors mouth dropped when he 1st saw the car...I got a kick out of watching him...he said "I never have seen a car restored like this...the damn thing is brand new"...lol

heres the transfer info:

First Union Bank
10480 Taft Street
Pembroke Pines, FL., 33026

(954) 985-3570...Bank contact is Margaret Allen, V.P
..................(cont. w/ bank acct. info)

==========================
[after they agreed to the $11,000 buyback]
Subj: Re: Revised Sales Agreement
Date: 01-06-26 16:08:28 EDT

Just received the title. I will wire the $11,000 to you tomorrow AM.

Thanks;

Rick

THEIR eBAY ADVERTISEMENT

1969 Cadillac : DeVille 69 Cadillac DeVille Conv. BEST IN WORLD!
Item # 5920661095Item located in: Passenger Vehicles:Cadillac:DeVille
Bidding is closed for this item.
Currently $18,975.00 (reserve met)
· 92000 Miles · 8 - Cyl.
· 2 doors · Automatic transmission
· Used · Clear title
· Black Exterior - Black Interior

Time left Auction has ended.

Started Jun-04-01 18:32:25 PDT
ends Jun-14-01 18:32:25 PDT

Seller (rating) luvdg@aol.com (11)
(View sellers feedback) (View sellers other auctions) (Ask seller a question )
High bid jcbarjuca (0)

# of bids 11 ( bid history )
Location Ft Lauderdale By-The-Sea, FL
Country/Region USA/West Palm Beach

Payment Money Order/Cashiers Checks.
Shipping Buyer pays actual shipping charges. Seller ships internationally (worldwide).

Relist item Seller: Didnt sell your item the first time? eBay will refund your relisting fee if it sells the second time around. Relist this item .

(mail this auction to a friend)

Options
· Air conditioning · Convertible · Cruise Control
· Leather Seats · Power Locks · Power Seats
· Power Windows
Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item. You should contact the seller to resolve any questions before bidding. Auction currency is U.S. dollars ($) unless otherwise noted.

1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible Black Exterior/Black Leather Interior White Convertible Top 1970 was the last year of production for the DeVille Convertible...really an end of an era. With the ending of the fabulous cars produced in the 1960s....1970 was a very important year of production.....Most of the cars produced from 1971 and on...were subjected to new standards by the EPA & DOT.....and performance began to take a steep downhill slide.....Cadillac still had the Eldorado and it was produced in Convertible form until 1976....but cars would never really be the same. Over the past 25 years...I have been priviledged to own many, many fine vintage cars.......but this 1970 DeVille Cadillac Convertible is really in a very special elite class ......it is one of the top 10 convertibles I have ever owned....and that is pretty significant as I have had 1000s of collectible cars over the years. The pictures....although good...just dont give the car justice.....and I would VERY strongly urge that anyone who is looking for a car of this caliber and quality, to please come to Ft. Lauderdale and inspect this car...or have it inspected by an expert. Youve got to see & drive this car to really appreciate it!!!! Over 1500 hours were put into restoring this car to the very HIGHEST of standards.... The body, paint, and chrome on this car are done to "Pebble Beach" concur standards. The body is arrow straight...it really is PERFECT! Ive never, ever seen better! The paint is flawless...just unreal!!!!!

It looks like you could put your hand inside the paint. The chrome is done to the highest possible of standards (like surgical chrome) There is ZERO rust in this car.......0! The interior (seats) are original and are gorgeous. The dash, convertible top, and carpets are new......and beautiful. As is the trunk...its magnificent! The only thing that doesnt work 100percent is the clock...but it is right twice a day...LOL. Under the hood....well...just study the pics....its FLAWLESS. The engine was removed (472cid) and totally rebuilt. It has new pistons, rings, crank, bearings, water pump, fuel pump, hoses, belts, carburator, camsharft, lifters, valves, pulleys,wires, starter, distributor, coil,etc., etc. and it only has approx. 500 miles on it. The trans. was also rebuilt and the car drives "AS NEW" It doesnt leak ANYTHING nor use any oil, etc. The underside of the hood and engine compartment are painted to concur standards...GORGEOUS! The first time I laid my eyes on this DeVille I couldnt believe me eyes....this car is that nice. Its not inexpensive...but I will state without any qualms that you couldnt begine to restore one anywhere near the cost of what this car can be purchased for.... But this car, is for someone who only wants the VERY best there is......a restoration that took 2 years to complete and well over $35,000 in labor and parts. The AC system is NEW.... New Compressor, Dryer, Evaporator, Condensor,Lines, etc.... All the light work, Radio, Power seat, Power Windows...even power door locks. Its a car that only needs a driver....nothing else....nothing to fix or work on...just an incredible car to enjoy and have fun with.....hopefully..it wont turn into a "Trailer Queen" Equipped as follows: Automatic Transmission Power Windows Power Seats Power Door locks Cruise Control AM/FM Radio (original) Front & rear seat speakers Spare tire with tools and jack 472CID Cadillac V-8 engine. Power Convertible top with new correct top and interior pads New correct convertible Top Boot. Please dont e-mail me and ask me the reserve...If you want to discuss the reserve, money, or a trade...just give me a call (954) 895-7940. Good luck on bidding on one of the finest 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertibles on Planet Earth! We will entertain the possibility of accepting a car (or cars) in trade. However, we would not be interested in any vehicles that need to be restored or cars that are kits, reproductions, or clones. I can be e-mailed at:Rick Thanks and good luck! THIS CAR IS A 1970 CADILLAC DEVILLE, NOT A 1969 This vehicle is being sold without a warranty; it is sold AS IS and WHERE IS. The description above is for informational and narrative purposes only. Information contain regarding serial numbers, engine numbers, trim numbers and other codes with reference to the authenticity of any vehicle offered is guaranteed to be the same as contain within a vehicles ID plate or trim plate or any other numbers as stamped into a vehicles engine block, cylinder heads, transmission, differential or other mechanical components which make up the vehicle.The seller has made a diligent effort to accurately describe this vehicle but does not expressly or implicitly guarantee the accuracy of the above description. Bidders and prospective purchasers are cautioned to conduct their own due diligence, including a physical inspection in person or through a qualified third party inspector or appraiser, before contemplating a purchase or making a bid on this vehicle.In fact, we would welcome such an inspection, and will make every effort to make the above described vehicle available at a time convenient to the perspective purchaser or their agents. Please be sure you have the ability to send a 20percent cashiers check within 48 hours if your the winning bidder and be able to pay the balance within 7 days thereafter.(also a bank check)

Free Honesty Counters, Listing Tools from Andale.
Bidding is closed for this item.
If youre the seller or the high bidder - now what?
Contact each other. The seller ( luvdg@aol.com ) and the high bidder ( jcbarjuca ) should contact each other within three business days to discuss payment and shipping details.
Leave feedback for the other party once the the seller has received the payment and the winning bidder has received the item.

Leave feedback to seller - Leave feedback to bidder .
Details for the seller and high bidder(s):
The seller should contact the winning bidder(s) with information on the total cost, including shipping, and where to send payment. The winning bidder(s) must pay the seller directly for the item(s), and it is the sellers responsibility to fulfill the order when payment terms are met. The binding contract of the auction is between the winning bidder and the seller.
If the seller is unable to establish contact with the high bidder within 3 business days of the end of the auction, he/she may lose the place as winning bidder, and be at risk for receiving negative feedback and/or a Non-Paying Bidder warning, both of which can ultimately lead to suspension from eBay.
Home Browse Sell Enthusiasts Search Services Help
Copyright © 1995-2000 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy .

If you would like to see more Rip-off ReportsTM on Cars of Yesterday, Inc. / Marv Friedman & ebay Motors, please use the search box below

In order to assure the best results in your search:

* Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
    * Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
    * Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
    * Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA’s.

Click here to go to our advanced search page.

Rebuttal
Submitted: 7/2/2001 Modified: 7/2/2001

The buyers gripe is with his incompetent appraiser

This email is a rebuttal to RipOff #5562.
It was sent by Bob at private@private.com.

BURNED by Classic Car Dealer on eBay Motors rip off (#5562)

They filed the following rebuttal to the above Rip-Off Report:

Their email: private@private.com
Their name: Bob
Their relationship to the company: Supporter

Rebuttal:
As a long-time ebayer, it appears that the seller gave enough fair warning in the auction.

The buyers gripe is with his incompetent appraiser. If the appraiser was told how much was being paid and the purported condition, the inspector did an awfully poor job in evaluating the car againts concours standards.

IMHO, the buyer should consider legal action against the inspector.

As the seller advised, the prospective owner really needed to see the carhimself before deciding since collector cars are very subjective to evaluate.

The sellers disclaimers should have been fair warning to the buyer to inspect in person or with an inspector he could trust.

Update
Submitted: 8/6/2001 Modified: 8/6/2001

Yet Another RIP-OFF by CARS OF YESTERDAY

You had the same experience with Marv as I. I bought a TBird from him and when it arrived, it was absolutely horrible, nothing like described. It arrived with no reverse gear, and he claims he just rebuilt the tranny but wont send me a receipt to prove it. Also claimed he repainted the car down to bare metal, but theres rust which has just been slopped over with paint. The car is sitting in my driveway undriveable. They are the biggest BSers Ive ever dealt with. He claims hes going to sell it for me, but after reading your experience, Im holding my breath to see what it costs me. What a mistake!

--------------------
This email was sent by an eBay member via eBays email forwarding system.
If you reply to the email, your response will go directly to the member and
not through eBay.

Update
Submitted: 8/28/2001 Modified: 8/28/2001

Another Victim of Cars of Yesterday

On april 24, 2001 I sent a check to Marvin Freidman of cars of yesterday for a 1963 lincoln continental convertable Ser #3Y86N425016 that was advertised on ebay as a show car . ebay motors item 579211813. The check was in the amount of $21000.00. The description of the car was fraudulent. On page 4 of 9 it states the entire exhaust tailpipes,mufflers,resonators,are in excellent condtion. Power brakes work great. I had to spend $1933.23 to get the car N. H. safety inspected. 2 new mufflers 1 resonator welded 2 manifolds replaced(THEY HAD TO REMOVE ENGINE TO REPLACE THEM) 2 new front brake cylinders & brake lines still have not been able to find a working power brake booster, so the car does not brake properly. Replaced the fuel pump, fuel was pouring out of it, fortunate it did not catch on fire. The car was tied up for 45 days while finding parts and doing the repairs. I contacted Mr. Freidman and Mr Hofberg, they told me to mail the bills and they would discuss the matter and get back to me. They said they would send me a check if a would sign a form agreeing to release cars of yesterday,Richard Hofberg,and Marvin Freidman from any, and all claims with regards to my purchase,the release also said that i would agree not to assist or participate in any legal proceedings brought by any other individuals or companies who purchased a vintage auto from cars of yesterday, Richard Hofberg or Marvin Freidman. If I signed and returned the agreement yhey would send me a check in the amount of $1000.00. After careful consideration I decided I could not in good conscience let these 2 people continue to defraud people.They also said all accesories on the car worked perfectly with the exception of the clock The a/c, passenger side windows,power antenna do not work. They claimed the paint is magnificent, chrome and bumpers look very good. Paint has rust bubbles on hood and trunk and chrome and trim is scratched and pitted on this described "SHOW CAR" Thank you for your time. Richard

Rebuttal REBUTTAL employee
Submitted: 9/3/2002 2:10:35 PM Modified: 9/4/2002 1:42:32 AM

1963 Lincoln...the real facts.

This was a one of the nicest looking and driving 1963 Lincolns I have ever owned or driven.

If there was in fact, a problem with the cars mufflers and tailpipes, it had to have happened while in transit on the carrier.

When I spoke to the purchaser, and he informed me of a possible expenditure of approx. $1900, I offered to send him a check the next day for $1000...simply as a goodwill gesture. He agreed and thanked me for this effort...

However...he contacted me via E-mail the next morning and said if I didnt send him the $1900...he would "bad mouth" me and the car as well.

I responded by saying that his actions were nothing short of an attempt to extort money from us....I know there exists a Better Business Bureau...but what about a Better Customer Bureau?

Marvin - Pompano Beach, Florida

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Randolph,

Sorry to read about your problems with Marv.

Still, I cant understand why anyone wouldnt simply fly to somewhere to personally view something costing so much in this day and age of instant travel.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing that not many of us have, nor are likely to ever get.   And, "IF" is such a wonderful word that we use too much.

I am in the market for a certain car, and as that would involve a cost of over $2000.00 for me to fly out of Tasmania, in the Southern Hemisphere, simply to view it, and either accept or reject, then that is money well spent, either way.

As far as "car buying" goes, there is so much involved that can either be a bonus, or a burden, that it is hard to rely on someone else, and that includes friends.  I know from experience.   I had a car arrive here, well two actually, but I only purchased one, that should never had left USA.   As you said, if pictures had been taken from opposite angles, then the intended purchases would have ended there.   And, saved me a similar amount as well.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   A lesson learned is a lesson remembered.   But, the expense in learning that lesson is a *****.

John #22631

Randy,
If you are still looking for a 70 Convertible, I have one for a shade more than half the price LUVDOG or whatever his name is had his junk listed for. It needs a little here and there. Not restored and not perfect. But Im not afraid to get in and drive it to California. Pictures can be seen at
http://www.modifiedcadillac.org TARGET=_blank>www.modifiedcadillac.org under the pictures section entitled Big Fins. There is a black 59 and a gold w/white top70.

Email me if you want. Im in no hurry. My wife and I enjoy the ride and the comments on the weekends.

Sorry to say Im about 8-10 miles away from this rip-off artist. Now that I got his address I would like to take a ride over there to view his "restored" cars!

If you want more pics, just ask and Ill email them to you. And I wont even try to con you into buying it ;). Your a grown man, make your own decision.

John

DJW#13818

Sorry to hear about your bad expeience but.......$19,000.00 should buy a nearly perfect 69, 70. They just do not bring big dollars. I see you are a CLC member. Always work through fellow CLC members. There are always fellow members in the area that are more than willing to examine cars for fellow members. That is what belonging to this great group is all about. If you are unable to travel to examine the car, at least deal with a certified appraiser familiar with the type of car you are interested in. Values are determined by demand as well as condition. I am not sure I have ever seen a 69 or 70 in the $20,000.00 range uless it was a time capsule car with under 5000 original miles. Even then, you need to buy with your head and not your heart. Dont give up, your dream car is out there but rely on your freinds in the CLC not hyped-up snake oil salesmen.
Feelin your pain, Cadillac Dewey

Lou CLC 19028

Some of you would be a little surprised on how strong the 69-70 DeVille market is. In 2001 when this awful transaction took place "quality" DeVilles were most certainly fetching 20k and more. Today and Ill repeat "quality" DeVilles will fetch in and around 30k. I know of more than one sale over $20K and I have also turned down more than $20k for my car twice. Dont get me wrong. There are a lot of nice drivers available for under $20K, but if you want a show quality or low mileage DeVille you better bring your check book :)

bill refakis

Hi ,this guy marv once called me off my 70 wanted ad yelling at me,that he had the #$percent&@#$ best *&^percent$percent^ 70 in the world,if i could afford it!!! I think it was around 2001,he cooled down a bit,when i asked if it had less than 5000 miles,as i had one with that mileage,and did not think it was best in the @#@#@#@ world!!!Bottom line MARV IS A STROKER!!!!! Market on 70s Standing offer 10k or less mile mint dvc 45k,20 or less mile dvc 32500k,buy one or a dozen,thats the market.

John #22631

Bill,
Would you mind. Please place the last sentence of your post into English, so that those of us that are less learned can make out what you are trying to say.

It seems today that everybody has to use letters instead of words to complete a sentence. If it is a matter of time at the keyboard, wait until you have time to spell out your word. I do all my typing with one hand as my left one will not work properly anymore. No abbreviations in my posts!

Thank you.
John

PS. I do have a 70 that I would like to market, and all the input I can get is helpful. I dont want to gouge anyone. But at the same time I dont want to cheat myself either.:0

DJW #13918

Just my point...When you start getting into the $20,000.00 range, bring in the experts. Any car in that range should be more than a nice driver. My 69 SDV was good enough to bring a 2nd place in touring class at the Southbend GN. To the untrained eye its a nice car, but $20,000.00? No way. Low milage originals should be worth more than restorations (at least in my world) but the reality is that quality restorations cost so much today that the seller will always try to get all or most of his investment back. This results in the high asking prices. Here is where you need to buy with your head rather than your heart. The 69 and 70 DVCs have a great understated elegance while still appearing sporty. Combine that with the 472 for gobs of power and they are fun to drive, dependable and readily available parts all make these excellent touring machines. If you have a low milage original, keep on enjoying it as long as you can, regardless of what the market does.

Jim Snell 21544

Quote from: DJW #13918If you have a low milage original, keep on enjoying it as long as you can, regardless of what the market does.

Howdy all,
Well said DJW! We know our 1969 CDV will never be worth a ton of money, but it is a super nice low miles always garaged one. It now has 66,000 miles. We take really good care of it.. We drive it once in a while.. When we go to a regional car show, we have a virtual guarantee that we will have the only one there. Usually the only vintage Cadillac as well. We have a 1956 Belair we like very much also, but on any given day, there may be several if not dozens of cars like ours in the 55.56.57 Chevy class... We are not trophy hounds, we like unique collectables. The Caddy is always a unique car show item, and many people stop to check it out and talk about it.... It is HUGE! People just love giant American iron.. The Harley people go crazy over it! The wives love it. They see the $7100.00 window sticker and play guessing games with their spouses... "Guess how much this cost new? Just guess, you are not going to believe it!"

We are proudly displaying our club grill badge, this is a great club and forum, with lots of great people... Some day we want to go to a national meet. Unfortunately, Anaheim is not a realistic event for us to attend. We just dont have the time for a cross-continent adventure.

Over and out. Jim Snell, Earl Park Indiana
Our Caddy: http://www.jims59.com/jims69cadillac.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.jims59.com/jims69cadillac.htm

Doug 16070

Jim,
  I noticed your from Indiana, & thought you might bring your Caddy to Kokomo car show on May 20. Ill be there with my 70 Deville & would like to see your car. The Indiana region CLC will be there & we always have a good time. If interested, contact me.
 Doug

Fred Garfield 22310

>>They see the $7100.00 window sticker and play guessing games with their spouses... "Guess how much this cost new? Just guess, you are not going to believe it!"<<

Amazing how many economic morons there are. A dollar in 1968 had 7 times the buying power of a dollar in 2006. In effect, that was a $50K car when new.

DJW #13918

I like to put these prices into context when showing my car and talking about prices. Find an old magazine or newspaper from the era (easy to find for $3.00 to $5.00 at an antique shop) and show an ad for a Ford or Chevy. My 41 7533 listed in the low to mid $3,000.00 range whle you could buy the Ford or Chev for $500.00 to $700.00. Then show what the average pay was or the cost of a quart of milk. Contex is a great teacher.

Fred Garfield 22310

It sure is. Could even do some simple arithmetic and show what percentage of the average joes annual net income would be spent on the car.

DJW#13918

Jim, too bad you were not able to make the National in South Bend. There was a nice selection of 69-70s in attendance. Interestingly enough my 69 was originally the same exterior color as yours with a black convertable top and if you can beleave it, the interior was PURPLE LEATHER. Cadillac called it MAUVE but purple it is! The silver with the black top made the car look very up scale and sedate. In checking over the available colors for 69, I found CHATAU MAUVE FIREMIST METALIC (what my wife and I call PIMP PURPLE). It is a perfict complement to the leather and with a white top rather than the black, turned the car into a very sporty looking ride. Upon completing the rstoration in the new color I found out that there was another car in my region that was delivered in exactly the same color combination. We have only been to one show where we both had our cars, but can you picture two identical 69s painted purple, with purple leather and white tops parked next to each other. Enjoy your 69, it looks like a lot more work than I would have tackled.

John #22631

Randy,
   Yesterday (Thursday) I looked in the phone books (both) to try and locate this Cars of Yesterday. The address listed in your post must have been or still is Marvs home address. It is a 20 story apartment building right on the ocean.

When questioning local car dealers no one ever heard of them. Maybe he just deals through the Internet with a phone and fax line. When someone wants a car they are taken to a warehouse where these cars are stored. I dont know!

The only physical address for that name is about 1 1/2 miles from me in a warehouse district. Didnt go over there as the traffic was getting really bad. 5pm.

Has anybody ever been to this "Cars of Yesterday" outfit?
If so, post where they are. I would like to see what type and condition of vehicles that they offer. Thanks,
John

Joe Abernathy #17524

I went there a couple yers ago.  I dont have the address or remember the names of the streets but it was north of the airport, not too far.  It is in a warehouse complex.  Marv was there with a couple guys that work for him.  He didnt know what time I was going to be there and didnt remember that I had called him two days earlier.  So Im sure hes there most of the time.

If you go be prepared!  He is the rudest and most abrasive person I have ever met.

John #22631

Joe,
This may be a wild question but....which airport?
Ft. Lauderdale Intl.?

Pompano Airpark? (Where Goodyear Blimp is docked)

Ft. Lauderdale Executive A/P? (within 1 mile of the warehouse address I found on the Net and Phone book)

Think hard Joe. If it is the warehouse address I can stand on my roof and hit it with my 44. Only about 1 or 2 miles away.

BTW He may be crude, rude, and vulgar. But an extremely polite businessman like manner usually can put a dirtbag like this in line. If that doesnt work, I can be the crudest, rudest, wrong side of the tracks person he ever encountered. LOL
John

Joe Abernathy #17524

John,

I cant say for sure.  I flew in from TX for a meeting in Miami.  When I called Marv about the Cadillac I was interested in I told him that my plane landed at shortly after 4 pm.  He gave me the directions to the warehouse from the airport and said that it was only about 5 or so miles away.  I told him that I would be there as soon as I got off the plane and got my rental.  He told me that "I close at 5:00 so you better hurry!".  I told him that I would try my best but it might be a few minutes past 5pm.  He said "Then I wont be here.  Youll have to come back the next day."

I didnt try to make it until after the Miami meeting.  As I recall the place was north of the airport and west of the Interstate.  You can call him and he will give you directions.

Good luck.
Joe

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Well, with an attitude like that, I am sure that he would sell a lot of cars, but to who?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

jan CLC#17589

Its not first time I read about Luvdg, and his sales tricks,
but it is nearly 2 years since he had a negative feedback on Ebay. Why???