News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 cylinder heads

Started by Jeff Burland #12555, April 07, 2006, 01:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Burland #12555

Have a 57 RH head (casting # 1465406)which is not good. Seems 57s are by themselves as they have higher compression that 58s. 58-63 heads are interchangable. So if I was to switch a pair of 58-63 heads for the 57s, would I be a happy boy? ;-) thanks, Jeff

Warren Rauch

The 1963 head does fit back ,but valve covers  are a problem. I think the older ones will work on the newer head,but the 63 covers wont work back.Do you have early or late 1957 valve lifters and pushrods? The late type were used on the newer heads and should work. The early type might work if you use both early lifter and pushrod ,but maybe not. The valves were larger in 58 up. THe pistons were changed to increase compression, but were they also cut out for the valves?

Jeff

Thanks Warren! I may have found a 57 RH head to use, but this is good info to know. thanks a million or at least 365 times!;-)