News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

wiper transmission adjustment

Started by baxter culver #17184, April 12, 2006, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baxter culver #17184

Somewhere I saw a description of how to adjust the little chains that drive the wiper shafts (blades) on early (pre-war) Cadillacs.  Of course I cant find it in my files or on this message board.  Can anyone provide a source or just a brief explanation of the recommended chain tension?  

DJW#13918

I read the same article but could not find it when reassembling the dash on my 41. As it turned out this can be done by feel. You can just tighten the chain until the desired play is taken out of the wiper shaft. If done on the car, it helps to have someone on the outside moving the wiper arm back and forth until the play has been removed to your satisfaction. Dont over tighten, as a little play is better than a broken chain. Dont forget to lightly lubricate the chain and other moving parts while you are in there.
Good luck.

baxter culver #17184

Thank you for your response.  I was sent a copy of the article by a CLC member.  I also consulted with Ficken Wiper Service and now have your response.  Happily, all agree on the adjustment technique.  If anyone wants a copy of the written instructions, e-mail me and Ill send it back.