News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Who has tried AntiqueAutoBattery.com products?

Started by Chip (CLC 21875), April 13, 2006, 11:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip (CLC 21875)

Thinking about buying a battery from AntiqueAutoBattery.com.  They say that they can put a 6V Optima battery into one of their cases and no one will ever know.  Has any CLC forum participant ever tried their products?  If so, could you please reply to this post and let me know of your experiences?  Thanks.

Their G2 battery (http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/g1g2.htm) apparently works perfectly for my 1941.  Costs $275, plus shipping.  

Chip
CLC 21875

Don Boshara #594

Bought a 6v Optima and case for my 40 from Bill Hirsch nearly 2 years ago at a considerably lower price. Works great. The case would fool most seeing eye dog owners, but it fits the battery box and looks more authentic than the bare battery.

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I have my Optima 6v in a Hirsch box as well, on my 47 coupe, and am very happy with it.

Dave

Chip (CLC 21875)

Can someone tell me the difference between Hirschs Smooth Top vs. Tar Top battery box, please?  Which one would make a more appropriate battery for a 1941 Cadillac?

http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=27&Product_ID=62&CATID=4 TARGET=_blank>http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=27&Product_ID=62&CATID=4

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I believe youd want the Tar Top version.  The smooth top, as I understand it, has no moldings to simulate an old battery, and is offered as a lower cost alternative where the battery isnt visible, and you just want something that will make your Optima 6 volt fit in a normal battery holder.

Dave

Jeff Maltby 4194

I paid $100 for my Optima 6V dry cell battery=900 cold cranking amps and $55 for the Hirch battery box to reside in.

Certainly not for a Pebble Beach Concours 100 pointer, but for a driver=Perfect.

Rhino 21150

In my 38 the battery isnt visible without hurting yourself. I got the biggest thing that would fit in the car at the local farm supply house. 900 ca, 750 cca, $39.95. Ive won a few third places.

Bill Gauch

I thought all the batteries in the 38s were down at the bottom of the passenger side engine compartment. If so, and youre pulling third places, I think you just saved me a chunk of change if I can just buy a battery from a farm supply house and have it be OK. Now, if I can only find a farm supply house... :)

JIM CLC # 15000

04-18-06
BILL,  Look in the yellow-pages Under farm supply. Also look for a big R store in the buiness section of your phone-book.
HTH
Good luck, JIM

Rhino 21150

The battery dangles off the passenger side outside the frame, behind the wheel. To work on it or jump I need to turn the wheel all the way right and twist into an uncomfortable position. From the engine bay you have to lean over so far that the judge is afraid to scratch the paint.
My car has been converted to negative ground, but still six volt.
When the battery is in the box the cables need only be eight inches long. Twelve was the shortest I could find!
In a small town? Even a big one. Type tractor battery + town into Google. You will have to weed through much junk until you get a good site. I found mine at Greensboro Tractor Company. Lots of lawn tractor batteries!

JIM CLC # 15000

04-19-06
Rhino, When I have to JUMP-START my 38, I connect the jumper cable to the SOLENOID (BATT. SIDE) And ground the other cable.
(After I have removed the hood side-panel).
Good Luck, JIM

Rhino 21150