News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1930s external side view mirrors

Started by Eric # 21241, April 14, 2006, 01:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric # 21241

Anyone out there know what the deal is with external rear view mirrors?
I have those aftermarket clip on ones that screw onto the edge of the doors.
I cant see much out of them in fact I can hardly even see the passenger side at all!
From looking at Cadillac photos on the web I see there are some thirties Cadillacs and Lasalles that have sidemount mirrors, are those factory or aftermarket? Are they acceptable or considered bad taste? I see them on Packards quite a bit and noticed on a friend of mines Packard they had the Packard logo on the back side of the mirror.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Eric, what year is your car & does it have sidemounts? Bob

Rhino 21150

On my 38 La S I have mirrors that replace the door hinge pins. They are not factory, but they have La Salle wings on them. No judge has ever pointed them out to me and said anything. Of course, the one on the passenger side cant be seen from the drivers seat at all.

Eric 21241

Hi Bob,
My car is a 37 with sidemounts.

Wayne Womble

Dont expect to see much out of those side mount mirrors either. I have them on both my 31 and my 33. They look great, but are about useless for mirrors.

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Eric, whatever you do, PLEASE dont put those totally incorrect lollypop mirrors on your sidemount covers. I dont care if they do have the Cad/LaSalle emblem on them. 1937 was the first year for the king bee style that mounts on the door edge near the vent assy. I have factory documentation that shows this. The trick on the RH one is to get a belt sander and grind the mirror base on more of an angle so it pivots rearward. Then you can see more but not all of the mirror. This trick works on any year car with a king bee. More questions? Just ask. HTH, Bob       Just a side note, if anyone has ANY factory documentation on Cadillac outside mirrors from 1934 to 1936, I sure would like to see it. Thanks, Bob

Eric 21241

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your input on the mirrors, youve convinced me.
I will leave the sidemounts alone, Ill go ahead with your advice of using a pair of king bees and grind them to the desired angle.
Eric

Eric 21241

Hi Bob,
I forgot to ask about your documetation on the king bee mirrors.
If you have a scanner or digital camera I would be interested in checking it out any time you get a chance if possible.
My email is: eric@clauseniron.com