News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1931 Lasalle dashboard

Started by George, April 14, 2006, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

I am in the process of reassembling the dashboard on my 31 Lasalle and was trying to figure out the best way to restore or refurbish the oval shaped piece that sets on the dash before all the instruments are mounted.  It looks to be a flat piece of brass that has a fine ribbed pattern etched into it.  Mine is pretty tarnished or worn in spots - I am hesitant to use any abrasive polishes in fear of rubbing off the etched pattern.

If anybody has had any experience with this, I would appreciate the help...Thank you!.....

George

Rhino 21150

If it is brass and not nickel plated, set it in a pan with water and a little white vinegar. Leave it over night. Rub it with a clean dish cloth. If that doesnt do it, Google!

Bill Gauch

You know, my dad told me the same thing for advice to clean up a brass sail boat part that was pretty well tarnished. I put it in some vinegar and awoke the next morning to find a nice clean white part. Aparently, it was very thinly plated with brass. I still havent gotten around to shelling out the bucks for replating. I would keep any acid (vinegar included) away from it unless you know it is solid brass.