News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

48 cadillac, chrome locks/latches

Started by Tom Faust, May 20, 2006, 10:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Faust

I was looking at a 48, 62 sedan the other day and noticed that the door locks/latches were chrome. This is the exposed part of the lock which is mounted on the door and visible when you open the door.

I had only seen this on Mercedes and BMW, that was one of the ways they distinquished their high line models in the 70s.

How long did Cadillac do this?

JIM CLC # 15000

05-20-06
Tom, The LATCH-STRIKER plate on my 38 is chrome. IM not sure if we are speaking of the same thing or not.
Good Luck, JIM

Herman clc#19416

TOM

I am not sure which piece you are talking about but take a look at our restoration site...www.desserconsulting.com and you will see a section named door panel installed and you will see the door edge with the lock mechanism..it is chromed and I can explain how we chromed the cover if this is the piece you are talking about..we documented our complete body off personal restoration and first time out was May 21 and we took a first place trophy in post-war american open... I would be glad to answer any questions I can about the 48 for you just e-mail me

Herman

Tom Faust

you will see the door edge with the lock mechanism..it is chromed and I can explain how we chromed the cover if this is the piece you are talking about..

The lock mechanism is what I am talking about. As far as getting it chromed, that is not the problem. The chrome is fine.

What I was wondering about is how long Cadllac supplied them chromed.

I dont think I had ever seen another Cadillac with those chromed, maybe I just never noticed.

The first time I can remember seeing it was when someone pointed out to me the trim differences in a 70 MB 280se and a 300sel.

Jeff Maltby 4194

My oem 49 fastback door lock mechs are plated, but dont
match the side trim spears etc, being a part you really dont see.

Forty Niner chapter S.Calif G.N bound soon. See you there.

si

Tom Faust

Herman, I forgot to mention that you did a beautiful restoration job.