News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

U Joints for 48 60S

Started by Whitney Otis, April 15, 2006, 10:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney Otis

For years, when I was working on my Cadillacs and found parts interchange info, I kept a list, which I have apparently mislaid.  Having recently renewed my interest in our hobby, Ive started working on a newly acquired 48 60S.  Does anyone have the OEM part number for the U joints?  According to my master parts interchange, the same wing style bearing cap was used for years... in fact, they look identical to the ones on my 40 7533F.  Somewhere, Ive mislaid my list (I now put all this info on computer so I know exactly where to find it).  At any rate, if anyone has the Borg Warner, Spicer or whoever part number for these, I would be greatful. Thanks, Whit Otis

Bob Schuman, #254

The U joints for 1938 through 1948 Cadillacs except the commercial chassis are the same, and the two joints on the 48-60S are the same. Cadillac part number is 1424820, Carquest #3-3152, MotorMaster #3031H, and Wesco # N3000G. I bought one from Carquest a couple of years ago, so they are likely still available there.

Whit Otis

Wow, Thanks for the quick response, Bob.
Regards,
Whit Otis

whit otis

I have new interchange information on these u joints for anyone interested.  I will include in this list the part numbers that Bob put in his response.  I was going to list all the cars these same joints fit, but the list is long starting all the way back with the 355 series cars, so I decided not to address that issue.  Here goes:
OEM GM Part Number = 142 4820
Carquest #3-3152; Motormaster #3031H; Wesco #N3000G; NAPA #230-3001; Spicer #5-3000X; Rockford #3-65794; and for you folks who like to shop at our local heavy equipment dealer, Caterpillar #9K1971.  I provide the Spicer and Rockford numbers in case you prefer to shop at your local driveline rebuild shop.  How competitive they would be with NAPA, et al, I have no idea.  If they are a big shop, they might cut you a good deal.
Later, Whit

John Washburn

Whit,

You forgot:

Neapco 1941 thru 1949 Part Number 280600. You still still see these at swap meets.

Borg-Warner 1941 thru 1949 Part Number 144 3000.

John Washburn
CLC 1067
Elizabeth, Colorado

Jeff Maltby 4194

I purchased new Neapco part # 3-3152 283152 u-joints for my 49 fastback.