News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

windshield for 59 Sedan DeVille

Started by Matthias CLC# 22137, April 15, 2006, 11:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias CLC# 22137

Hi,
has anybody an idea where I can get a new windshield for my 59 4 window Sedan DeVille? any experiences made with quality of replacement glass? Is it not interchangable with other 59 GM cars? Mine got a crack when helper hit on it while installing.
Thanks for your help, Matthias

Michael Stamps 19507

Al the first Cadillac King does glass.  Shoot me an email and Ill find his contact info for you.  Sorry but right at my bedtime here.

Stampie

Fred Garfield 22310

Ive also seen these 59 windshields on ebay from time to time. Not real expensive either, although Id imagine shipping is not cheap.

Matthias #22137

Michael,
thanks for your reply. Where do I find your email adress?
Matthias

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

As a person who has experienced a windshield replacement on my 59 I have some very strong opinions. I wish this forum had existed when I did my 59 and I had asked the same question as you!

Are you going to install the windshield yourself or have someone install it for you?  If you are going to install the windshield yourself, let me know and I can look up the number in my Hollander Interchange manual. This windshield Does NOT interchange with all other 59 Cadillacs, let alone other 59 GM cars!!!   Make sure that you get the RIGHT windshield.  The windshields might look like they are interchangeable, but they are not!!  I purchase a lot of parts for my cars on Ebay, however this is one item that I would not ever consider purchasing on Ebay!!  My advise would be to contact a supplier and let them tell you what windshield to install and have an agreement that you can return it to them in the event it is not the right windshield.

If you are going to have someone else install the windshield let them order the windshield!!!!  If they order the wrong windshield then it is THEIR problem.  If the windshield comes in broken, it is their problem.  You may think that you are saving money but you are probably doing nothing but causing yourself a lot of grief.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Bill,

I totally agree with you.   Especially with the complexities of the multiple curved 59 and 60.   One misplaced thump, and it is back to square-one.   And, believe me, some screens do require the occasional thump during the installation process.

I had a local glass company order me a replacement windscreen for my 70 Ranchero Squire, the only one in Tasmania.

It took four months to arrive, and when it did, it, along with another large screen in the box was broken by the operators of the Forklift, somewhere in transit.   Took another two months for the replacement, and they fitted it with no problems.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Jeff Burland #12555

Your 59 SDV 4 door 4 window Flat Top Windshield is the same for the following:

59-60 Buick Hardtops and Convertibles

59-60 Cadillac Coupes

59-60 Cadillac 4 dr 4 window sedans

59-60 Chevrolet Hardtops and Convertibles

59-60 Oldsmobile Hardtops and Convertibles

59-60 Pontiac Hardtops and Convertibles

I think someone was thinking of the 4dr 6 window cars, which are only interchagable with 59-60 Buick, Chev, Olds and Pontiac sedans and station wagons. The really only made 2 windshields that year. Granted the series 75s and Eldorado Broughams were the two other ones that would be considered rare.

David #19063

Hello Matthias,

I just had the windhsield replaced in my 55 Chevy 210 2D Post Sedan.  I called our local windshield place and they ordered it within a day.  It had the sun tinting on top and they installed it within a few hours at the shop.  

I would suggest that you stay with your car when it is installed as I did.  Also, get a blanket to cover your interior as they are in and out of the front seat and their clothes and hands are not always clean due to silcone spray, etc.  (We were able to get the stains off of my front seat...next time I will cover it.) You might also want to bring a blanket to spread over your hood as well.

The cost was very inexpensive, but then again, it is a Chevy and parts are available.

David

joe meneghin 22407

Since you seem to know alot more about this then I do, can you confirm that on a 1960, the coupe and convertible windshield are different.

denise 20352

Ive always used National Auto Glass.  They found a windshield for my 76 hearse, so they do have some search resources.  Ive been happy with their install work on the last five or so that theyve done for me, except that they covered up the &*$^& VIN number on the last one.

-denise

Dan clc 16464

Hi,

Ive replaced and removed a ton of windshields from 59/60 parts cars...  The earlier interchange is correct.

For new windshields, Ive purchased them at:

http://www.bobsclassicautoglass.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.bobsclassicautoglass.com/  They fit just like they should.  The only thing about the new replacement windshields is the etching for the date code is on the top middle of the glass instead of the passenger side lower corner.  

He can deliver it crated directly to your glass installer.

Thanks.  Dan

Matthias #22137

Hello everybody,
thanks a lot for all your helpful advices. I was worried I would not find a source for a new windscreen. Since I am a german guy and my time here in the States is limited now, the car already went in the container this weekend to be shipped overseas. That means I really need a good supplier for the glass since I have to take it with me without a chance to try it out on the car.
I had it installed myself, but one of my helpers was a little too helpful...
Thanks again, Matthias