News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

47 cadillac lacking power

Started by john moroney, April 19, 2006, 05:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john moroney

l have 47 cadillac fleetwood 346 limo, holley 7448 2 brl manual choke, lacks power and holds back on steep hills, plugs sooting up, anyone know what jet sizes to run in the uk, ie cold weather,car has been in uk only 2 weeks from CA. starts well, ok up to 60 mph, press on the gas and goes slower, anyone help. thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi John-The first thing I do with a car I just bought is drop the pan and see what has accumulated in the bottom of the pan. I then run a compression check on the cylinders to see how efficent that engine is and is it capable of delivering the power after the right mixture is delivered by the carb to the manifold.The 47 engine should have a pressure of 100 to 105 and all cylinders should be equal within 5percent. That comes from the book.After you find the compression on each cylinder now you have a better idea if the condition of your engine is causing your poor performance on hills or you look at other areas such as ignition and timing.The carb you have on the car is not the correct carb for the 47. It should either be a Stromberg AAV-26 or a Carter 595S or SA.Both have automatic chokes.