News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 cad. 4 door

Started by roger neil, April 23, 2006, 07:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger neil

I would like to know were the vin plate location on the car is.

Bill Gauch

There isnt a VIN plate on a 41. Its too old for that. If you are looking for the body style, number, trim, etc. plate, I believe it is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. If you are looking for the equivelent to the VIN, there is a frame/engine number which is a uniqe identifier for your car. It should be on the top of the frame on the drivers side just behind the engine mount. In the case of my 38, it was covered by about 1/2 inch of congealed oil under the main wire harness where it ran along the frame. That number is also supposed to be matching on the engine, but I havent found that on my car yet.

Chip (CLC 21875)

The 1941 Cadillac does not have a VIN plate, but you can find the VIN stamped into the top of the frame on the drivers side just adjacent to the steering gear mounting.  You might need a wire brush and a flashlight to uncover and see it.  Look right near where the frame branches.  If you cannot find it, I can send picture that shows the exact location.  

You can also find the VIN stamped into the engine block just behind the cylinder block on the drivers side.  If that number does not agree with the number on the frame, you have a replacement engine.  Please note that for registration purposes, you DMV will probably want the number on the frame.

The 1941 Cadillac also has a cowl tag, sometimes also called a body tag.  You can find that plate when you open the hood and look near the drivers side hinge.  The cowl tag will show a Style No. (i.e. 41-6219D) that indicates the body style of the car.  The next line will show a Body No. that indicates only the number of that particular body and that does not count as the VIN.  You will also find a Trim No. (i.e. 75, meaning Blue Gray Heather Cord) and a Paint No. (i.e. 57, meaning Monica Blue).

brian

Where can you decipher the trim and paint codes? For example, what are: trim 32 and paint 56? -Brian

Chip (CLC 21875)

Trim 32 = Tan Ribbed Cloth
Paint 56 = Managua Beige Metallic