News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I want to recast my steering wheel

Started by Bill Gauch, April 24, 2006, 01:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gauch

Has anyone ever done it? I know there are companies that will do it for you, but I think I could do a reasonable job of it myself. My main issue is that I dont have anything left of the original plastic to be able to make a mold from it. I know I could suficiently make a cast of the top side which is just smooth and round, but I was thinking about ways to make the finger grips on the back side. I considered buying a whole replacement wheel, making a mold from it and then reselling the spare, but I dont know if its worth the trouble. Does anyone happen to have a mold of their wheel that I could borrow? Alternately, does anyone have a spare that I could make a mold from? Even though I probably already pushed my luck, would anyone consider taking some clear decent-res photos of a side view of the finger grips with a bright white background. I would think a couple sheets of paper behind it would be sufficient. If you are willing to help me out but dont understand what I am asking, I can explain it more fully.

JIM CLC # 15000

04-24-06
BILL, IMHO, I think you are taking on a tash bet left to the pros. I had a steering wheel re-casted by CLC BRUCE BERGHOFF.
He will recast your SW or give you a replacement wheel (IF he happens to have one at the time) talk to him about your wheel as far as cost, time involved and shipping.
Good Luck, JIM

JIM CLC # 15000

04-24-06
BILL, I am very pleased with the recast qualty,But one word of advise, If you need or have to install it before the car is painted, be sure to cover it real good. (Please dont ask how I know about this).

Good luck, Jim

Doug Houston

I once had the same idea, since SOMEBODY can do it, why not me? I haver four 1941 steering wheels to be re-cast, and I might save a few bucks doing it myself.

Giving it more thought, the guys who  re-cast the wheels have the process down to a fine art, and you should get a good wheel back from them. They know the right materials to use, and I dont, nor do you, and thats important. Fortunately, I have a few spare 41 wheels, so I can have them re-cast without disabling the car, and thats what Im gonna do.

Ive gotten lazy in my old age.