News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 air conditioner

Started by denise 20352, April 26, 2006, 10:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

Is there any reason why this fitting would NOT have an O-ring in it?

http://www.americansoapbox.org/tmp/fitting.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://www.americansoapbox.org/tmp/fitting.jpg

...or is this just another one courtesy of that air conditioner shop in Vegas?

-denise

Crin

I recently rebuilt and converted the entire A/C system on my 72 and every fitting had an o-ring on it.  My bet is that it should but its missing.

Just my 2 cents.

John #22631

Looks like the Vegas shop did the job incompletely. How they were able to pump it down and hold a vacuum is beyond me.

My guess would be a quickie job was done. Pump it down, charge it up, and get it out.

Bottom line, Yes, an O-Ring goes in that fitting along with any other fitting in an A/C system.

John

Doug 22747

Since you bring this system up, I have a 75 and 2 odd things are happening.  The fan sometimes speeds up and slows down erratically, and Im also getting a crackling sound right where that "delco radio automatic temperature control" device is located near the glove box.  Any ideas?  thanks Doug  

PS Ive got the o-ring on mine, easy enough to tell since theres no freon in the leaking system.  Im waiting to hit the lottery so I can fix it!

denise 20352

I think that the programmer (thingie behind the glove box) controls the fan speed.  I also seem to recall that there is a little panel you can pull off of the progammer that has the fan resistors behind it.  Maybe there is a loose connection in there, or burnt resistor.

That shop in Vegas that made so many mistakes also left an O-ring out.  Amazing that it didnt leak.  I didnt meet the mechanic until I was picking up the car and he came over to tell me some lies about it.  As soon as he starting talking, and I saw his facial expressions and body language, I recognized the symptoms of advanced alcoholism.  I blame the owner of the shop for keeping him on, though...after all of the mistakes that he made on my car, he must have screwed up a few more of them.

-d