News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 Eldorado strange paint code??

Started by Tanner, May 01, 2006, 07:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanner

I have a 67 eldorado with the following paint code 00-62 and trim code of 000- . The eldo is pink with a black leather interior.  The paint code does not match the colors available for 1967.  I would appreciate any help on this mystery.

Regards, Tanner

Jan CLC17589

I think they use 000 codes for special order
Jan

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Did they have Mary Kay Cadillacs that far back? Or maybe it was her personal car.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Jan, you are correct.  I used to own a completely original 1967 deVille convertible with a special order two-tone interior (piping and buttons in a contrasting color to the seat upholstery).  This car had a "000" trim code.  That code tells you that the car has a non-stock special order trim or color combination (depending on where the "000" appears); it doesnt give you any hint as to what the trim or colors might be.

In earlier Cadillacs (such as 1941), the corresponding designation for a non-stock color or trim selection was the letters "SO", for "special order".

Richard

Tanner

I purchased this 67 in PENN @ 2004.  I too thought this might be a Mary Kay car, however it is not a solid bright pink.  More of a rose metallic color...similar to Wisteria??  Actually looks like a Lincoln color.  I guess I will take it to a body shop and have them scan it and perhaps can match it close enough.

Thanks for all the hehpl guys.

Michael Stamps 19507

You have been given the chance to do any Cadillac color 67 and back and still be "factory" correct.  Maybe there is something out there you like better.

Stampie

wm link

Very often a Special Order color is from a prior year or a different GM line, that maybe a place to start.

JIM CLC # 15000

05-04-06
TANNER,In 1967 or 68, I had my daily driver painted at a MACCO shop. While there I noticed 8-10 Cadillacs that the shop foreman said were repainted "MARY KAY PINK". I would have to thank that M K has all of their award cars re-painted by MACCO or a semilar shop.
A few phone calls would tell you if it is worth presuring to mfind-out if they have in-fact re-painted some Cadillacs for the M K compancy.
Good Luck, JIM

JIM CLC # 15000

05-04-06
TANNER,In 1967 or 68, I had my daily driver painted at a MACCO shop. While there I noticed 8-10 Cadillacs that the shop foreman said were repainted "MARY KAY PINK". I would have to thank that M K has all of their award cars re-painted by MACCO or a semilar shop.
A few phone calls would tell you if it is worth presuring to find-out if they have in-fact re-painted some Cadillacs for the M K compancy.
Good Luck, JIM

Jerry

Quote from: Richard Sills - CLC #936In earlier Cadillacs (such as 1941), the corresponding designation for a non-stock color or trim selection was the letters "SO", for "special order".
Richard

Richard,

I believe that the correct terminology when SO appears on a Body tag is "Shop Order" not Special Order.  Doug H. would know for sure.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Jerry, I checked my sources and I believe you are correct --"S.O." stands for "shop order", not "special order".  Thank you for the clarification.  

Some cars that were specially built (one-of-a-kind) by the GM styling studio have an additional body tag that includes the letters "S.O." and a number that indicates the sequence number of the shop order job.  See, for example, the Harley Earl website that includes a list of GM shop order ("SO") numbers for some of the one-off cars designed by Mr. Earl.

Getting back to Tanners car, one of the writers suggested that the car may have been repainted pink at a commercial body shop.  But if this were the case, it probably would have been a standard color to start with, and wouldnt have had the "000" paint code.  That paint code suggests the car left the factory with a non-stock color.

Another interesting question is, in what model year was the triple-zero ("000") code first used to signify a non-stock paint or trim option?  Does anyone know the answer?

Richard

Dick Heller

Would you recommemd MACCO?

Dick

Quote from: JIM CLC # 1500005-04-06
A few phone calls would tell you if it is worth presuring to mfind-out if they have in-fact re-painted some Cadillacs for the M K compancy.
Good Luck, JIM

Yann Saunders, 12588

The digit "0" was used for non-standard paint finish and "000" used for "special by request" non-standard trim in the Eldorado Brougham models. Others too, I guess.

"SO"? Im sticking with "special order" until I see a factory publication where it is translated as "Shop Order".

Motorama models were shop orders; they carried an "XP" number (experimental prototype).

JIM CLC # 15000

05-05-06
Dick, Yes, for a daily-driver. But, I would wait untill they had a special on.
Good Luck, JIM

Bill Gauch

I have heard that MACCO can lay down a really nice paint job if the prep is done to the highest degree before you bring it in there. If you do all your masking and trim removal before hand and clean and fix all the sheet metal, youre good to go. Never had any personal experience, but I would definitely consider it for a low-buck job. Of course, if you are doing all the preliminary work, youre already doing most of the "cost" of a repaint anyway.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

I had the local MAACO do my 79 Brougham. Everyone at Des Moines seemed rather surprised at the quality. It would have turned out better had I made one or two more visits before they laid down the final coat. They had to strip the trunk, and still missed an "outie" crease from the trunk pull-down forcing against something in the trunk, even after I pointed it out.
This was their highest quality paint job. Another thing, make sure you have them do the door openings. I told them and told them that price was not all that important, and they still didnt tell me that doing that was an extra cost option, and so didnt do them. So, if you work with them, and TELL them what you want, they should do a very decent job. Masking was very high quality. I did take as much of the moldings off as I could. Remember that they are only concerned with the paint job, and that, they do quite well. You will pay extra for body work, and that is where you need to "camp out" that day at the shop, to make sure they find everything. Go over the car several times before you turn it in to them, and then point out each and every dimple, and make sure it is circled with a yellow crayon by them.

Johnny #662

Like most things in life you only get what you pay for.  As already stated you can get a good job at MAACO, if you stay on top of the project.  There was a time, when I was sort of "rescuing" old Cadillacs headed for the crusher.  I picked a few old fleetwoods from the 60s, that were still running but needed some paint work.  They were all in the $300 range.  My intention was to just to get them mechanically safe and sound, and "cosmetically" restored.  After taking care of the mechanicals, which necessiated a few visits to graveyards, I would take them over to Earl Sheib for "color".  Quite frankly I was pleasantly surprised with their work.  The only real downside is that at the time, you didnt have a full choice of colors.  You could only pick out a color that they had, which of course was Earl Scheib paint.  Now I know that many might consider this sacriligeous, but I sort of felt like a Mother Theresa saving these old Cadillacs and restoring some of their past dignity, while I proudly rode around in them.

Rhino 21150

Most of us with old Caddys have the time and the skills to fix dents, replace body parts and sand bad paint. I dare say few of us are much good at painting, its much more difficult than it looks! We have exceptions here and no insults are intended. That said, why not do the stuff we can and let an experienced painter "put on the pretty"? I did my first two repaints that way. Then I practiced spraying IN A JUNKYARD. Just got lucky I guess.

David

Up until 76 you could order your new Cadillac in any previous year color or color to sample.  In the databooks from the late 60s and 70s they sometimes list the popularity of the previous years colors to assist the dealer in ordering and also discuss in some detail special color, interior trim deviation, etc.  Apparently the most popular special order previous year color was Mountain Laurel from the 56 model year.  If you order a copy of the build sheet it should list the special color by name if it was from a previous year, or if you are very lucky by formula if it is a custom color.  

Tanner

I did order a history of this car, however they returned my check and told me the records do not exist.  Id appreciate any help on this car.  Regards, Tanner