News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Troubleshooting Convertible Top

Started by Chris Arneson #22170, May 01, 2006, 10:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Arneson #22170

Ive got a question about troubleshooting the operation of the convertible top for my 70 DeVille.  The top works fine while retracting, but fails to extend to the closed possition on its own.  I have to get out and help it up about half way, then it closes fine.  Anybody know the fix?  Thanks.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Chris,

Cant help you much, but I have always been advised to operate the top when the sun is out, and on a warm day.

Never operate it on a cold day, as the material is too stiff to be pliable enough to fold as it should.

Operating it at any time of the day or night is the fastest way to bring on cracks, rips and shrinkage.   When using a car every day, and only operating the top when you want to is the worst time for a soft top.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Joe G 12138

It sounds to me that youre just a little low on fluid. Have you checked it recently?

Chris Arneson #22170

I havent look, is the reservior on the pump?  What does it use, I seem to recall brake fluid or ATF?

Thanks.

Chris Arneson #22170

Thanks Bruce.

I alway try and put it up and down during the day.  If I do put the top up at night I dont latch it until its been in the sun again the next day.  All of this assumes its not sitting out side of course.

Chris

Lou CLC 19028

Quote from: Chris Arneson #22170I havent look, is the reservoir on the pump?  What does it use, I seem to recall brake fluid or ATF?

Yes, the reservoir is on the pump and the fluid is ATF. If your low on fluid you probably have a leak somewhere. Take the seat off for a good look.

Lou