News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bad Engine

Started by Wilson, May 03, 2006, 03:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson

I just found out that the #7 piston is @ 25 PSI. They tell me that I need to rebuild the entire motor, it will cost about $2,500 dollars. I have a 4.1 engine in the car. Q, can they just fix the bad piston or should I go and have the entire motor redone. The car has over 140,000 miles on the meter. HELP

JIM CLC # 15000

05-03-06
Wilson, You failed to include any information for people to use in their WAS.
Was this 25# what the test showed after a wet or dry test?
Is it a flat-head engine? or ovedhead?
With a reading that low, I would bet on a Bad-Valve. which can be fixed easely if it is an over-head. Let the readers know.
Good Luck, Jim
P.S. I just re-read your post and saw where it is a 4.1 engine.
The answer to your question is YES, the whole engine needs to be overhauled. but where do you live where a shop will over-haul it for $2500.00???
Also, consider yourself lucky that you were able to get 140,000 miles on the engine. I thank that about 80-90,000 or less, miles is average.

JIM CLC # 15000

05-03-06
Wilson, and readers, I made a boo-boo. The caps at the end of the first line should have been WAG! Sorry about that.

wilson

OK, Im having low pressure (25 psi) on my #7 cylinder, will I need to replace the motor or just fix the cylinder? HELP Me OUT!!

Rhino 21150

Your mechanic should be able to perform a leak down test. Im not sure how it works but it involves putting compressed air in the spark plug hole and checking how fast pressure is lost. This can tell the mechanic whether you have a bad valve or a blown piston. Bad valve, pull head and expect 10,000 miles before next repair.
Bad piston, rebuild engine and have no idea when it will blow, but probably not in 10,000.
You may want to ask your mech whether he can stuff a newer engine in it, 4.5 or 4.9. Both are considered better engines. If you plan on another 100,000, that may be cheaper than a rebuild in per mile cost.

Craig Chally clc21190

Wilson,

If the piston is shot, just replace/rebuild the engine.  If your state allows it, consider replacing the 4.1 with something with a little more oomph, maybe a 350, 425, 472, or 500.  Makes for a much improved driving experience, and its a good idea if you plan to keep this car for any length of time.  Good luck.

Craig

wilson

Ill rebuild the engine and have it bored out to a 4.5. Should I buy the engine online or from a local dealer. I really dont have anyone here to trust. Theres a company online that will sell me a recondition 4.1 bored out to a 4.5 long block. I need the experts advice..

Mike #19861

First of all, replac/rebuild the engine. With this many miles, you will undoubtedly find other worn parts that will need replacing.

Now, just what year and model is this engine in? A 4.5 overbore is a common upgrade. It involves replacing the 4.1 cylinder liners with those of a 4.5.

But, a transverse engine can be upgraded easily, but keep in mind, that the port injected 4.5 and all the 4.9s use differant heads with larger ports. These will not mate to the intake manifold properly.

The longitudinal engine was available only as a 4.1. But, the 4.5 cylinder liners will still interchange. I am in the process of building one now for my 85 Eldorado.

As far as replacing it with another style of engine, that is a project to be taken on opnly by an experienced home mechanic. To have a shop do this would be prohibtively expensive since there is much conversion involves and you will need at least one parts car for the required pieces.

Mike