News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering box leak

Started by Chuck--#21953, May 03, 2006, 06:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck--#21953

The steering box in my 1939 60 Special has developed a serious leak.  A committee of local gurus have advised filling the box with grease instead of the recommended 600W oil.  Any thoughts or comments on this?

Frank DeCou clc#12231

I started using chassis lube in the steering gears of almost all 30-50s cars that I have owned since the late 40s and have never had even one problem.  During that period of time it was common place thing to do at the Cadillac dealer where I was a mechanic.

Bryson CLC #21505

Chuck,  I use a steering box grease for older cars [Penrite,Australian], in my 37 LaSalle; it is a bit more fluid than chassis grease, but mine still leaked too much. So I waited until it was cold & thicker, cleaned the box real well with petrol, & applied Loctite Black Max [a silicone] to all the joints on the underside. This sticks really well & it almost hasnt leaked since.
Bryson in Oz