News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oil Filter & 346 Flathead

Started by Virgil Perkins #19943, May 04, 2006, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil Perkins #19943

When you add an oil filter to a 346 flathead (1941), do you use an additonal quart of oil (making it 8 quarts) for fill up? Is this addressed in any shop manual anywhere?  Thanks for any enlightment, VP

Bob Schuman, #254

Virgil,
With the added oil filter the capacity will be eight quarts when the crankcase and filter are changed. The filter soaks up about a  of oil. I doubt you will find this in any manual because Cadillac did not offer the filter.
When the oil pan is drained on a 41 Cadillac and refilled with seven quarts of oil, the dipstick will show almost one quart over full. If a 1942-48 style fill tube and dipstick is used in the same engine, it will show very slightly over the full mark. I just recently verified this on my 41. It appears the 41 fill tube as built by Cadillac goes about 3/8 too far into the engine, which could be corrected by removing, repositioning, and rebrazing the bracket that holds the tube to the block.
Bob Schuman

Virgil Perkins 19943

THANK YOU Bob for the info. The dip stick on my 41 shows a little over 6 quarts when filling with 7 quarts and the tube is  in the block as far as it can be. The first fill up was after a complete rebuild, so I know the pan was empty, and has been the same each oil change since. Thanks again, VP

Bryson Talamini 21505

Virgil, I have twice performed the same measurement on my 37 LaSalle with exactly the same result as you got.