News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1985 ElDo Touring Convertable

Started by JIM PALMER, May 06, 2006, 05:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM PALMER

My 85 Convertable was hit recently and I am trying to find a site or someone who can suggest information on the true value and history of this auto. It was a Factory coupe that was sent to Hess & Eisenhardt [believe Indiana] to convert it to the
touring convertable They no longer operate under that name, and have switched to armored vehicles for the military.

Cadillac made [or sold] 2300 Bairitz Convertables, so I believe this model is quite rare, and I do not want the insurace co. to under value the auto and call it a total loss. I was in the midst of restoring the auto when the other driver ran a red light and nailed me.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprecciated.

Johnny #662

Quote from: JIM PALMERMy 85 Convertable was hit recently and I am trying to find a site or someone who can suggest information on the true value and history of this auto. It was a Factory coupe that was sent to Hess & Eisenhardt [believe Indiana] to convert it to the
touring convertable They no longer operate under that name, and have switched to armored vehicles for the military.

Cadillac made [or sold] 2300 Bairitz Convertables, so I believe this model is quite rare, and I do not want the insurace co. to under value the auto and call it a total loss. I was in the midst of restoring the auto when the other driver ran a red light and nailed me.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprecciated.

First of all, let me state that I am in no way involved with insurance in any way, so my post is strictly an opinion.  

First of all do you have standard insurance or did you get antique insurance?  Since your car is only 21 years old, I suspect you proably have standard insurance.  I have an 85 Eldo coupe and have been unable to get antique insurance. I will assume you had collision with this car and just not liability.  The basic rule is that the insurance car has to pay you something in the order of replacement value, unless you had riders or amendments to your policy stipulating some sort of value on the car, in case it is totaled.  It is my experience that insurance companies are usually quite fair when they pay off a total claim.  They usually pay the price to replace the car, plus any applicable taxes.

What is your intent on receiving a settlement on your claim?  Do you want to replace the car, or just keep the money.  If you want to replace the vehicle, and you arent satisfied with the settlement price, I think, and I stress I think  you have the option of submitting something like 3 estimates of the same car and they have to settle somewhere in the neighborhood of your submitted prices.  With the help of the Internet, it shouldnt be too hard to find 3 like vehicles out there somewhere.

Again I want to repeat this is just my opinions of what your choices might be.  They are based on my experience of 21 years ago when a car of mine was stolen and I replaced it with my 85 Eldo.

I think the best solution to your situation is to contact your insurance company and see what they are offering you and what your rights are in this matter.  Dont take a quick settlement, based on what they say, see if more options is available to you.  Take your time and good luck.  

By the way sorry to hear about your loss.

PS has the car been declared a total loss or does it just have to be repaired?

jimpalmer

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.

THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN DECLARED A TOTAL LOSS, I AM JUST PREPARING FOR THE RESPONSE OF THE OTHER DRIVERS INSURANCE CO. TO CONFIRM THE ACTUAL VALUE OF AN AUTO THAT IS VERY SPECIAL. [NOTE THE HESS AND EISENHHARDT OUT OF FACTORY CONVERSION].

I HAVE GONE ON LINE AND COLLECTED CURRENT PRICES ON THE STANDARD CONVERTABLES THA CADILLAC OFFERED IN 1985, WHICH ARE AVERAGING OVER $10,000.00. i FEEL THE DAMAGE TO MY AUTO IS FAR LESS THAN THAT.

MY CONCERN IS FINDING THE TRUE VALUE OF THIS OUT OF FACTORY CONVERSION.

ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.

JIM PALMER

REPLY TO 2ND MESSAGE.

THANK YOU FOR THE LINK. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS.

Johnny #662

Glad to be of some help, and hopefully your car is a total loss.  Keeping a postive thought, if the insurance company decides to declare the car a total loss, rather then repair it, I would take a serious look at a couple of the cars in the link I submitted, they look quite interesting.  I would also ask for the selling price of the car, plus shipping.  I dont know if they would be required to pay shipping, but its worth a shot to ask.

Just for the record, if the car is declared a total loss and you decide to buy a car that has to be shipped, I would strongly recommend using FedEx, you wont be disappointed.

Johnny *662

Quote from: Johnny #662Glad to be of some help, and hopefully your car is a total loss.  Keeping a postive thought, if the insurance company decides to declare the car a total loss, rather then repair it, I would take a serious look at a couple of the cars in the link I submitted, they look quite interesting.  I would also ask for the selling price of the car, plus shipping.  I dont know if they would be required to pay shipping, but its worth a shot to ask.

Just for the record, if the car is declared a total loss and you decide to buy a car that has to be shipped, I would strongly recommend using FedEx, you wont be disappointed.

*that reply should have read, hopefully your car is NOT a total loss

brian rachlin

I have had my 1985 Eldo Convert insured as an specialty car since I bought it in 1990.

JC Taylor took it on because I had other antiques.  I switched toi Grundy a few years ago.

The even insure my wifes 1999 Firebird Convertible.

Good Luck.

FYI, Even if it is totalled, you can buy it back from the insurance Co for a reasonable offer.

jim palmer

I may be repeating myself - so far I have found one [premier] body shop who stated he cannot replace the rear right quarter panel, since it must be cut to match the HESS & EISENHARDT FORMAT.

I am working on 2 more PREMIER [PALM SPRINGS AREA] body shops, but I have no idea what the result will be. I shall know within the next few days.

Thank you for your input.

Brian Rachlin

A body shop that works on customs or does restoration work should be able to graft a decent Eldo quarter onto your car.  You are cutting away material to put it on a convertible, not adding anything.

The original car WAS a regular Eldo hardtop, cut down, so what would be the problem?

ALL of the 2300 factory conversions done by ASC were Biarritz models, and I noting when the Hess and Eisenhardt cars come up on ebay, they are always base Eldos, some are touring editions.  I wonder who from ASC has a basement full of 2300 Stainless Steel Eldo roofs? (4600 if you count the 84s)

For $7,000 I will sell you a nice Biarritz Convert that you can use for a parts car, and make yours a Biarritz...It needs paint and a top, and the front seats are split, but its a solid car that runs great.

Brian