News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 Cadillac distributor leaking oil

Started by Eric 21241, May 08, 2006, 11:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric 21241

Greetings all.
I have a peculiar problem, it may be related to the synthetic 5-30 motor oil I am trying in my engine.
The distributor is leaking oil thru the cup grease fitting on the bottom side of the distributor, has any one experinced this problem?, have remedies? I was going to put a standard grease fitting on but thought the oil may then go into the upper points area and I dont want to risk it.
The engine was oily before I changed to synthetic too so it was  leaking before but not as much, I only noticed it today while running the car with the hood open an occasional drip that eventualy leaves a puddle on the floor in no time. Im surprized there is so much oil pressure all the way up the distributor.
Any Ideas?

Bill Gauch

Im not sure about your specific problem, but I can probably say that you dont want to use 5W-30 in an engine that leaks some oil. Also, unless the modor has been rebuilt recently to very tight tolerances, you probably dont want to use synthetic. It is a very efficient cleaner in addition to being a very efficient lubricant. Switching to synthetic can cause increased wear and leaks. If your engine leaks, synthetic oil is also probably a waste of money. If you need to keep adding oil, why add the stuff that is $5/quart instead of the stuff thats $1/quart? As to how to stop your leaking, when you add oil, add some 10W-30. If that doesnt fix it, try 20W-50. Your call whether you want to switch back to regular or not. Also, I guess it depends on how long the oil has been in there.

Jack Mcilwraith #10584

Eric-  After my 1947 engine was rebuilt two years ago, I had oil coming up the distributor shaft and exiting just below the distributor body.I blamed the rebuilder, because he had installed a 60 lb pressure oil pump.I argued with him that the engine hadnt done that before the rebuild and this was too much pressure, but he "knew better". What eventually he had to do,was cut a groove in the inner shaft and install either one or two o rings.This stopped the leak.

Doug Houston

Two comments here. The distributor tower on these engines has a hole in its base for oil from the oil system of the engine to lubricate the distributor drive. But often, the EXIT hole in the base of the tower clogs, and the oil cant run back out. The result of this is that oil is pumped all the way into the distributor in some cases, and the engine quits running altogether.  

Comment #2: If an oil pump that develops 80 PSI is used, the loading on the camshaft AND BRONZE IDLER GEAR wil be greater. Id be concerned about the idler gear wearing excessively, and failing too soon.

Bill Hamilton, CLC # 16219

I second the first of Dougs comments as the cause. That is exactly what happened to my 42. We pulled the distributor and discovered that someone (I know it wasnt the previous owner) had used silicone to create the gasket between the block and the distributor tower instead of taking the time to make a gasket out of the proper material. Cleaned out the drain hole, made a gasket, no more leak.

Bill Hamilton

Eric 21241

Thanks,
I would never have found that oil hole without everyones help.
I am going to take care of it tomorrow.
This group is the best!

baxter culver #17184

One final note.  It seem that engine gasket sets no longer come with a gasket for the distributor drive tower.  A friend traced his leak to a missing gasket (after renewing his engine) and I had to make one when I recently rebuild my engine.  Good advice: if you have a leak at the rear of the engine, look for a leak at the dist drive tower.  An easy to make gasket will fix it.

DJW #13918

You guys have got me thinking..... at last years grand national I noticed significant oil dripping from what I thought was a rear main seal on my 41. After pulling the flywheel cover and finding no evedence of oil on the inside of the cover or either side of the clutch, I scratched my head and just put it back together for another look another day. I guess I will need to take another look at the distributer base. Sounds like a possibility.
Thanks

Eric 21241

My 37 Cadillac is definitly fixed now, I amost didnt find the exit oil hole on the distributor shaft, it was totaly plugged up! Cleaned it thoroughly and now its dry as a bone.
Thanks to all in the forum....Id nver have found that problem on my own.