News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 Cadillac

Started by Ray Calistro, May 09, 2006, 11:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Calistro

I have a picture of my Dads Cadillac.  I think its a 1942 but cannot determin what style it is.   It has the chrome grill covers over where the fog lights would be.  ON the grill are the larger round turn signals.  But what I cannot find is the hood emblem.  It is not like most of the 42s Ive seen online.  This has the large "V" with something in the middle.  The picture is an old one and small.  
If anyone can help me out I would sure appreciate it alot !!!!

Ray

Bill Hamilton, CLC # 16219

Ray,

I have a 1942 75 series sedan, which looks just like a 1941 except for the grill and hood ornament. The 1942 grill does have round turn signals, however, the hood emblem on 1942s was the same as 1941. The V with crest started in 1946. Also in 1942 the word Cadillac was spelled out in individual block letters on the hood lip. Starting in 1946 the Cadillac script was mover to the front fenders. 1942 was also the last year for the side vents on the hood. They looked alot like 1941 but had a point on the front end. A look at your picture would be helpful. Feel free to E-mail me if needed.

Bill Hamilton

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The "V" and crest did not debut until 1946 so Im guessing the car is either a 46 or a 47 if it looks like a 42. The easiest way to differentiate between those two years is the Cadillac name on the front fenders.  In 46, it was in block letters; in 47 it was in script.

Doug Houston

All the above is prdicated on the fact that the hood nose emblem is original. As Bill Hamilton says, the 42 cars had the folded wing emblem with the Cadillac crest at the bottom.

By the way, on the individual Cadillac latters below the emblem, they are in a brush chromium finish, and not buffed bright. When I first got my 41-60S in 1956, I ordered a new set of letters for the hood nose. They werent bright, so I got new ones. The new ones were brush finish chromium! Oh, well, another lesson learned. Not so bad though, they were only 41 cents each.