News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

41 CAD 6219 Rocker SS sills

Started by alan e feltham, May 09, 2006, 04:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan e feltham

Having had to completely replace rotten sills (below the 4-doors), I have nothing to fasten the stainless moldings on with.
Originally some kind of clips were used...Does anyone have suggestions? (could use #4 sheet metal screws..but hate to...)
Thanks.

Warren Rauch

Try Restoration Specialties (1-814-467-9842). PO box 328, Windber, PA 15963 They have hunderds of clips something should work.Warren

JIM CLC # 15000

05-09-06
ALAN, type in AUVECO in your search engine and their fastener catalog will come-up. ALSO, call some of your local hardware stores to see if they carry that brand of trim fastener.
Good Luck, Jim

alan feltham

Problem is, I do not know what the original looked like nor how it fastened on to the rocker  - a wire clip of some kind, I think, but how did and where did the wire clip fasten?

Harry Scott

Alan, If memory serves me, there is a metal strip about 1 wide with the top edge bent slightly that attaches to the rocker about the same length as the stainless. The top edge of the stainless slips over the bent edge of the metal strip and then the bottom of the stainless goes under the rocker and there are cut outs where you put the  screws in, which is out of sight unless you go under the car. I havent gotten that far on my 41 yet, but seen to recall there were remnants of the metal strip on the rockers before they were replaced.

Doug Houston

One little detail thats left out here. What series is the car? If its a 61,63 or 67, the rocker moldings are formed one way. If the car is a 62 series (C body), theyre altogether different. In either case, theres a way that you may not even need the clips. Tell us what it is, and maybe I have an idea for you.

alan e feltham

Gentlemen:It is a Model 6219 4-door sedan. I am trying to keep to the original- think they were wire clips of some type, (not 1 wide strips)??
Appreciate the response.

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Allen- For several years a friend and I hunted those clips that are unique to the 41-6219. We looked and tried many style wire clips at Restoration Supply, Hershey and many other places with no luck. The SS moldings are attached by wire clips and not metal strips on the 41-6219. I finally found NOS on ebay. Fortunatly someone had marked them for a 41-6219 and they are now on my friends car. I hope you will be as lucky and can keep your car as original as possible BUT as Harry and Doug pointed out, there are ways of attaching with small metal strips with minimal notice by other than you.

alan e feltham

So...( I am guessing )do the wire clips fasten to the rocker sill by projecting through a hole in the rocker sill under the top edge of the SS cover? {I am thinking of using tree-type nylon push through fasteners shaping the head of the fastener to fit in the slot in the underside of the SS cover.}

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Charlie Babcock in Florida might have reprod them. Contact him. Good Luck, Bob

Bob Laughon #18623

Did you replace the entire rocker panel or just the bottom?  The original rocker panels had holes on the sides and the bottoms.  The stainless trim was attached to the holes on the sides with clips, and to the bottom with sheet metal screws, the latter using a fender washer.  If you replaced the entire rocker panel Im guessing that the new ones do not have holes in the proper places.  Anyway, I got new clips from Just Clips, 36310 Chestnut Ridge Rd., North Ridgeville, OH 44039.  They did not give me a part number, so I would not know how to tell you to order them.  I sent them an original clip and asked them to match it.  I had to bend the clips they sent me, an easy job using a vise and pliers, but they were the right dimensions and they work great.  I can send you an original clip if you think that would be of any help.  Charlie Babcock makes a very elaborate (and very expensive!) system for attaching the trim, which I suppose will also work.  You can reach him a (941) 349-4990 evenings.  He will send you a sketch of his system so that you can see how it works.  Good luck.