News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

65 Fleetwood Backfire when trying to start

Started by Adrian Mosforth, May 12, 2006, 11:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Mosforth

Hi all...Have not been around in a while as my original 65 Fleetwood Brougham was in storage for over a year.   Gas prices were excessively high!

Now I am having a problem trying to start my baby.

When I put her into storage I filled the tank with Fuel Stabilizer and some octane boost, and I sprayed some Storage Spray into the cylinders.  However, I am having problems starting her now.

She turns over nicely, which I originally did without the spark plugs in order to build up oil pressure; put the plugs back in and tried to start her up.

No go, but she definitely gave me the bums rush when she backfired through the exhaust.  I guess she is not happy and she is letting me know!

I cranked her over for about 40 seconds and then a slight bang out the exhaust.  Tried this a few times.  Same results.

Damn…What is going on?  

I thought maybe the coil was bad so I took some Ohm readings.  Here they are.

+ and â€" terminals was .21 at the 200 scale on my ohm meter.
+ or â€" terminals and coil centre wire to distributor was 8.24 at the 20K scale on my meter.  

Therefore, I think my coil is good.  Reading this damn meter is a pain, as I do not have a manual and my high school classes where so long ago I cannot remember!  Nevertheless, I think they are good readings…as the service manual does not really show what they should be.

The wires are in the proper position according to the service manual but she still will not start only backfire when trying to start.

Any Ideas

Thanks

Adrian Mosforth

JIM CLC # 15000

05-12-06
ADRIAN, you didnt say wheater or not you Primed the cabreator, pour a small amount of gas-in and try starting the engine. When it starts, it will no doubt put out a lot of smoke.
Good Luck,JIM

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Plus, there could be a stuck exhaust valve and it is staying open as the cylinder fires.

The first thing that I would be doing is removing all the plugs, hold the accelerator down, remove the coil to distributor High Tension Lead, and perform a Compression Test on all cylinders.

Dont keewp on opening and closing the throttle whilse doing each one as you will bew squirting petrol into the cylinders and therefore the first test wont be under the same conditions as the last one.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Gene Roqueplot Clc#19950

First thing i would do is take a point file or a emery board and file the points as i have seen a film develope on the points when left to sit for a time! Then try and start your Caddy! 2nd Check or just replace your condensor! Sometimes it just that simple!
good Luck
Gene

Steven McCarthy #21750

Not to overlook the obvious but since you had the plugs off any chance you might have mixed up the plug wires?
I did that once and that is exactly the symptoms youll get if you inadvertenly mixed up the firing order. Took me a while to figure out since I was sure I had put them back in the right order.
(Of course it didnt help that the previous owner had installed the distributor in a different orientation than stock!)
Worth double checking. My 2 cents. Good luck.