News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 DeVille Convertible Top Switch

Started by Gary H. #18197, May 16, 2006, 07:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary H. #18197

When putting up the top last Sunday something happened to the switch.  The small chrome toggle mechanism got real loose and power to the motor went dead.

Im thinking its just the switch (more like hoping).  U.S.A. Parts Supply Ltd. shows a universal replacement switch for $13.95 whereas dBaers show a convertible switch for around $85.

Is the switch my starting point?  Any ideas why the huge swing in cost?

Also any suggestions on how to refinish/restore the front grille with the small black painted squares?  It looks pretty rough.

Lars Kneller 8246

I would first take the switch apart and see what is wrong.  They arent too hard to fix if nothing actually broke. The inner guts may have just popped out of the housing.  I suspect DBaers has an original switch, and USA has a generic GM power window replacement switch, which you could buy at any local auto parts store.

The only way to repaint the grille is lots of masking around the aluminum part!  You can do it by hand too.  It really isnt noticeable unless you get close.

G. Hodges #18197

Thanks for the feedback...  

As far as the grille question what I was really referring to was the two side sections of the grille that support the front turn signals, not the center section.

Im not sure about how to go about removing the black paint off of those two pieces.  Nor am I even sure about what type of material they are formed from.  Ive actually seen some people cut small squares of black plastic tape and apply that to the side grille sections in an attempt to simulate paint!  I just cant bring myself to do that.

Justin Crosby #22536

Try Cadillac Tim he advertizes on ebay alot with rebuilt switches and such I think his website is http://www.cadillactim.com TARGET=_blank>www.cadillactim.com I bought some parts from him much more reasonible and easer to deal with then Dbears.

Lars Kneller 8246

When I repainted mine, I just sanded the old paint a little, masked off the aluminum part, and painted it with Rustoleum Satin Black.

Andrew 10642

Thats how I did my headlight doors on my 67 Eldo, and it looked great for the 6 years I owned it, driving it 20,000 miles