News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rust Paint/Removal

Started by Jack, May 17, 2006, 05:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Porter,   curious...have about the ZeroRust Prep to remove rust before painting ? Have you tried it ?

Expensive stuff...but it looks to be just
TriSodium Phosphate ( regular paint brush cleaner )  ???

Jack  #7558

Porter

Porter, curious...have about the ZeroRust Prep to remove rust before painting ? Have you tried it ? Expensive stuff...but it looks to be just TriSodium Phosphate ( regular paint brush cleaner ) ???

Jack,

I have never used it. I do use oxysolv from Eastwood, it is just phosporic acid, I spray it with a junk mini spray gun or you can brush it on, should clean afterwards with lacquer thinner.

A light sandblasting is best on rusted steel or a wire cup wheel on a body grinder for floor pans.

Zero rust is just the best high solids alkyd enamel value you will find on the market, rust-oluem is just cheap thin junk.

In a perfect world you will have clean steel with an epoxy primer and a modern urethane topcoat. For a chassis or undercarraige, floorpans, etc. degrease and clean, apply a few coats of black zero rust and you are good to go. I had a few small rust spots resurface years later, just clean and touch it up. Now, if you use toxic Poor-15(expensive and hazardous to your health) and it flakes off years later you have a big problem and you cant just touch it up.

I turned Jeff Maltby on to ZR, he used the POR product on his 49 and it failed years later.

He is a happy camper, give it a try.

Porter

wayne

I live on a 50 yr old steel yacht in the Caribbean. Im always chasing rust! I use phosphoric acid, currently a product called phospherizer from Forto chemical co. If you go to any good paint store or weld shop, you can find phosphoric acid in gallon jugs for about $13 per gal. Depending on the amount of rust, you can dilute 5 to 1 and sprey it on with a plant spreyer or soak the part in the acid. After its clean, rinse, dry and prime. If you let it dry with the solution still on it, itll get a white film which needs to be wire brushed off.
 Hope this helps.