News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 CDV Paint Colors in Engine

Started by John Maglia, May 17, 2006, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Maglia

I just joined your fine club only 10 minutes ago. I have to wait a couple of weeks for my membership # but I am ready to paint my engine comparment now and hope to get some direction on what gets painted what. Specifically, what components get painted black, what gets painted dark blue, and what gets painted the primary body color? It is a factory air car, orignally white with black top but repainted (by someone else)Dakota Red. And to boot, there must have been a sale on black paint at Walmart because everything in the engine compartment is now black except the block, valve covers, and intake.  

Also, is the black semi-gloss, satin, or gloss?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John  

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

John,
The following is what I used as a guide doing my ’57. It was a well cared for original car with most of the original engine compartment finish still in tact.
Firewall and fender wells: Lower body color
Engine: Dark Cadillac blue. The valve covers and batwing air cleaner are gold only if the engine has the Eldorado dual four carbs.
Air Cleaner:  Low gloss black (It has much more shine than semi gloss, but not the high brilliance of gloss black. Krylon gloss black is a good substitute.)
Under side of the hood: Low gloss black. The side edges of the hood are body color
Radiator support and braces forward of the radiator: Low gloss black
Radiator, AC condenser, AC dyer, horns, Oil filter, Power steering pump, AC compressor: Semi gloss black
Fan blades and engine pulleys: I believe these were semi black
Power brake booster:  Pale gold cadmium.  (I’ve also seen these as silver cadmium.)
Front hood lock, striker plate, hood hinges: silver cadmium
Hood hinge springs; Black
AC evaporator cover (On passenger firewall) is a brown fiberglass. I sanded it lightly and clear coated it.
Various fasteners and hold down clips: Silver cadmium.

The Cadillac blue is available from Bill Hirsh. I used Eastwood for all the other paints.

HTH,
Ralph

John Maglia

Ralph:

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I am ordering paint this week and am anxious to get started. Unfortunately, this is a fenders on restoration but every piece of hardware under the hood that could be removed has been sandblasted, rebuit, primed, and ready for paint. Will never be a #1 but after new paint, chrome, stainless work, and a detailed engine compartment it will be a lot better than it was when I bought it from a dealer in FL. Fortunately, the original interior is beautiful (except for the rug and dash).