News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Seat Belt Install??

Started by Brandon Arant, May 19, 2006, 04:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon Arant

Hey there, tonight I finally bought a 1960 Cadillac Deville :) Unfortunately there are no seat belts in the car, so are there any tutorials on how to do this or do I need a specific kind? Just a lap belt or harness as well? Im clueless, can I just go to pep boys and how hard might the install be? Thanks!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Brandon,

The biggest hurdle or problem with installing seat belts correctly in these General Motors vehicles is that the seat base has to be modified to allow the inner belt to pass through the back of the seat bottom.

This means that the upholstery has to be cut so that the belt will travel directly to the tunnel mount.   And once cut, the opening built up so it wont tear, and the metalwork that is under the seat has to be protected from being able to cut the webbing as it passes through downwards to the floor.

If the belt is simply pushed under the seat back, then up and over the rear riser of the base, and then to the floor, in the event of an accident, the webbing will stretch and straighten, thereby allowing the torso to move a fair distance before the belt actually does its job of retaining the person.

If you try and put your fingers under the bottom of the back of the seat, you will see what I mean by the lip.

I have been investigating the fitting of belts to my 60 CDV, and in the case of the Coupe, there isnt any latch mechanism to retain the back from falling forward as in the cars built after 68.    This in itself can cause another problem.

Plus, with the Coupe, there isnt anywhere to mount the upper restraint without fitting a mounting point into the roof, but is the roof strong enough to mount one?

So, at this stage, no seat belts in my car, and I drive accordingly.   Actually, I always drive as thouhgh I am not going to have an accident.   But, the other motorists usually leave me enough room to get out of their way as they dont like my real bumper bars.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

John #22631

Brandon,
Should you decide to go with the belts, go to Ebay and type in the search box charles hecht. He has all kind of belts in a variety of colors. Just plain belts or with retractors or 3 point belt and harness units.

Or if you like email me and I can put you in touch with him.

John

Joe R #20442

My 63 convertible had mounts installed at the factory for lap belts, and Bruce-they do go between the seat back and bottom on the inner mounts (for the center belt and inner mounting of the outer belts).  They appear to be the only way to install and there is no straightening-the 60 model is probably different.  Back seat is same.  The front seat backs to not have latches either, which is another reason I decided to intall shoulder harnesses both front and back(except for the middle positions).  The only thing I would do differently (and will change them out in the near future) is that I didnt use retractable harnesses for the back seat-only the front.  The rear shoulder harnesses have to be adjusted, which is very difficult due to the harness being secured at the top of the wheel well, which is under the top well bag.  The retractors for the front seat are hidden.

Take a look at my restoration photo album linked below if you are interested in what I did.  It is not for the faint of heart-I had to fabricated some pieces and it was time consuming.

Joe

http://groups.msn.com/196364CadillacCommunity/joerobin65s63series62conv.msnw TARGET=_blank>http://groups.msn.com/196364CadillacCommunity/joerobin65s63series62conv.msnw

Ray Seigle

HI...I have a 70 Deville Convertible that I think may be a candidate for doing something similar as to your shoulder harnesses. Can you send me some more pictures detailing what you did both front and back ?  I am going to be useing mine as an everyday driver, and I want to be as safe as possible.  Also, my son is about 4ft 7inches....would your rear harness work on somebody that short effectively ?

Thanks...you look to have thought that out fairly well...

Ray

Bob Dziewit

Beginning on January 1, 1962, front seat belt anchors were federally mandated on new cars.  On January 1, 1964, front seat belts were mandated.