News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

PDL solenoid/actuator

Started by Joe P (CLC 19114), May 19, 2006, 05:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe P (CLC 19114)

Does anyone know who the manufacturer/vendor was/is for the 70s era electric Power Door Lock actuator?  Ive looked at a few old ones and all I can find is the GM part # stamped on the mounting bracket and a miscellaneous # stamped on the top of the solenoid itself, but no name or other identifier.

Would anyone know the specs on this component (operating current, pulling force)?

Thanks,
Joe P.

Rhino 21150

I dont know who made them but I have heard that they pull seven (!) amps. Cant verify that. If you have one out or easily accessed, you could put your ohmmeter across it. Then divide twelve by the ohms to get amperes, or fraction of an amp. The newest ones in Japanese cars pull one amp. If I can remember where the one from my front door in the 76 Olds got to, Ill measure it for you. GM loved to see how many cars they could stick the same part into.

Rhino 21150

I Googled "power door lock actuator" and got several million links. You are on your own on this one! Neat link on how they work in new cars: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-door-lock.htm TARGET=_blank>http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-door-lock.htm

Joe P (CLC 19114)

Rhino,

Its been awhile since Ive viewed this board, so a belated thanks for the info.  I would never ask someone else to go thru such a henious search!  FWIW, the link you provide is definitely for the newer PDL actuators that use small motors and gear reduction.  I think the 70s era used a hugh electro-magnet as the actuator (similar to the starter solenoid concept).

Anyone else know more about these paperweights?

thanks,
jp

Rhino 21150

If you like cruising graveyards most full size GM solenoids (anchors, not paperweights!) are interchangeable, late fifties through late seventies, except Chevy of course. Ive seen them adapted to open trunks. They should have a GM number on them to make sure they will fit.