News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac: engine/transmission seal question

Started by Chip (CLC 21875), May 23, 2006, 10:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip (CLC 21875)

While rebuilding the engine on my 1941 Cadillac, I found a seal/gasket (round, about a 1/2 wide, about 18 in dia.) that goes between the torque converter and the fly wheel.  Do I need it?  That area has no fluid.  If I do need it, can someone please tell me its proper name and part number and where to get a replacement?  Thanks!

Chip

Jeff Maltby 4194

Torus cover to flywheel gasket. Check you shop manuel for exploded view/oil leak problem areas to see and yes, you need it.

Gaskets are still available. Somebody will be along soon, with where to purchase. DH where are you ?

Bill Hamilton,CLC #16219

Chip,

Coopers Vintage Auto Parts (coopersvintage.com)$8.00. No online orders, you have to call (818) 567-4140.

Bill Hamilton

Doug Houston

One thing youll need to know. If you have the original transmission in the car, the prewar flywheels and torus covers are different than the ones on the postwar transmissions. On the later (postwar) flywheels, there are two alignment pins on the flywheel, spaced irregularely. They arent on the prewar flywheels. Also, the flywheel-torus cover for prewar boxes will not fit the postwar ones.

The seal between the flywheel and the torus is very important, because there is a LOT of oil in the torus (It is the fluid coupling, after all). I usually wipe wheel bearing grease on the gasket before I put it on the flywheel, just to help the seal a bit.

Beyond the above, its a matter of everything going together in good order. Ive never had one leak, mainly because Im scared silly to have to take that damned thing back apart and re-do the seal.

Oh yes, and another one: Be sure you have a good gasket on the crankshaft flange to flywheel. That could also be a bad leak.

Chip (CLC 21875)

Jeff, Bill, Doug --

THANK YOU so much for all your help!  Not sure how far I would get with my restorations without this forum and all the help I get from everyone here.

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!

Chip