News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

coatn on re-built cam?

Started by JIM CLC # 15000, May 25, 2006, 12:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM CLC # 15000

05-24-06
Bruce and other knowledgeable readers.
I just remembered that I had to have the CAM shaft re-built in my 38, it came back with a BLACK coating on the lobes with instruction NOT to remove the coating but to install the shaft as it was. I had to remove the oli pan later and found the Black coating in the bottom of the pan and through-out the motor. I cleaned the engine (interior) as good as I could.
Questions, What was the purpose of the Black Coating and should I have removed it from the engine?
Good Luck, JIM

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Jim,

The black coating is a pre-lube process that is applied to the cam lobes to ensure that the required initial lubrication of the lobes is there and that the lobes/lifters wont be ruined on start-up.   I am sure that the cam builders dont trust the mechanics to apply sufficient lubricant when replacing the camshafts, and it will also stop the cams from rusting during prolonged periods of storeage.   Plus, i would hazard a guess that the bearing journals werent coated.

The first 5 to 10 minutes is the most crutial in the whole life of these parts.

You see, the Lobes and lifter faces dont receive pressure lubrication, and rely wholly and solely on splash lubrication from the cast-off oil from the big ends and also from the oil vapour that is floating around in the air within the confines of the sump.

This Black Stuff is only required during the first 10 minutes, and wont cause any problem within the engine as regards the rest of the parts, but as the manufacturers recommend, always replace the oil and Filter after 500 miles with a rebuilt engine as there are a lot of impurities floating around in the oil and caught by the filter so it wont re-pass through the motor.

Whenever I rebuild a motor, I also coat the cam lobes, lifter faces, and the bearing surfaces with Pro-Ma Copper impregnated Grease, on these high-pressure areas and have never had a failure.

Performing the oil and filter change is a must.

By the way, I trust you ran the cam in at 2,500 rpm for 1/2 Hour immediately on start-up?   Or shorter periods as not to overheat the engine.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV