News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Generator Rebuild (50s-62) help

Started by Steve Cole #22466, May 26, 2006, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Cole #22466

Finishing up the rebuild of my 1961 35 amp generator and Ive run into a little problem. One is self inflicted and the second I dont know about.

My first problem is that Ive apparently lost the inner collar washer on the drive end of the armature. The collar looks like a double thickness washer and I think I lost it when I took the armature to the machine shop to have the commutator end bearing pressed on.

In this day & age, the bearings are sealed so the rebuild components vary from what was shown or outlined in the shop manual. So, question #1 is should I worry about this missing piece? If so, and I cant find the original, what should I use for a replacement?

My second question *might* be related to the first-

While I put together the front end of the generator, I noticed that the fan element behind the pulley had some rotational play. What I mean is that I can rotate the fan blade back & forth slightly either in a clockwise or counter clockwise motion.

Is that something to be concerned about? Did I bang the crescent shaped retaining key in too far into the shaft?

The part is painted so I was surprised that the piece was as loose as it was..

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Cole #22466

I believe my problems have been solved. Ive reassembled everything but I havent had the chance to test it. Thankfully, the collar spacer was not lost. The guy at the machine shop noticed it and thought it was supposed to go on the commutator end so he put it on before pressing the bearing. Of course, thats incorrect but he was able to pull the bearing again and then re-press it.

As for the fan blade, I guess thats okay too. Although there is play before tightening everything down, it gets sandwiched pretty good between the pully and front end frame once everything is tightened for good.

By the way, Ill throw out a hearty recommendation for the Eastwood Silver Cad spray paint while Im at it. I used it on the pulley, fan blade, and ends of the generator and it came out GREAT. I also used their Diamond Clear over it and so far it has taken all my handling as Ive assembled & disassembled the components.