News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Steering Wheel Color

Started by Michael Brittan CLC#2750, May 27, 2006, 11:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Brittan CLC#2750

I am having the steering wheel plastic recast on my 1948 Series 62 and would like to know how to determine the correct original color.  The wheel has yellowed with age.  Any input would be much appreciated.  Thanks, Michael.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Whatever your shirt knob is, is correct. (Unless that has changed as well.) If you are having the people in AZ do it, they will know automatically. This is the best, most costly, but is also correct. The color is a translucent ivory. There is no way to tell as far as anything written down as far as I know. Contact Roy Schneider. He has a couple of original 47s. His # will be in the Directory.

Micheal Brittan #2750

Thanks for the input, Barry.  The wheel is actually with Quality Restorations in CA - they have suggested the ivory color, but I am just concerned that it is a lot more white than the current color of the wheel, which shows a lot of yellowing with age.  If I could fine some original interior pictures of a 48, this might help to show just how white the wheel was originally, even though the pictures would likely only be in black and white.