News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Seeking Advice on 64 Gas Tank Sending Unit

Started by Andy Barnett, May 28, 2006, 12:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Barnett

I have just removed the sending unit from the gas tank of my 64 Eldorado.  Previous diagnoses indicated a failed unit and thta is indeed the case.  There is a brass (??) strap connecting the resistance / float unit to the gauge connection that has broken.  Downstream of this break the resistance measures from 0 Ohms to 35 Ohms as the float is moved from "empty" to "full", so I think the resistance unit is OK.  

Can this unit be repaired, and if so who does such repairs (in particular in the Brockton, Mass area).  Im assuming simply soldering the connection back together wouldnt work due to chemical reactions with the gas.  

If a new sending unit is the best option, where is the best source to purchase one?  USA Parts Supply only lists units for 46-49, at $149.

Can a unit from another GM make be substitued?  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

On another note, someone rust-proofed the underside of my baby.  Is this original?  It made removing the tank somewhat difficult but ti is otherwise in pristine condition.

JIM CLC # 15000

05-28-06
ANDY, I do not see any reason why you can not solder the brass strap,only, be sure to butt solder the broken strap because if you lap the broken pieces you may change the resistance of the brass loop.
As far as knowing where to get a replacement, I would not know.
But you may want totake your part and check a BUICK parts department or Chevrolet-truck parts department may be the same.
As for the under-coating. probably applied by the saleing dealer altho a lot of independent shops were appling it.