News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Restoration fabric dilemma

Started by Jim Govoni CLC 20546, May 29, 2006, 04:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Hi; I am in the end of the frame up restoration of my 53 Series 62. The only hold up has been the interior. In the beginning I researched all the original fabrics for a Trim Code 54. I found three vendors. Two told me right away they had similar but not correct or identical fabric. An unnamed company on the west coast sent me samples that stated they had the "exact" fabric. The fabric samples they sent were indeed, correct. Much more expensive than the others by 20-25percent. I ordered three different interior fabrics, the wind lace, and the package tray for the rear shelf. Long story shortened, I got the wrong wind lace twice, on the second send back the cardboard insert was sewn in wrong and the wrong material. The package shelf turned out to be entirely wrong and the wrong material all together, it was just a simple nylon mesh, like cheap window screen, not the hard straw type. The Bedford Cord fabric was totally wrong. It had a black nylon line running through the fabric. All in all the total spent so far for the materials is $1700.00 In conversing with the owner by email and phone he became more and more vague and quit answering my questions directly. On Thursday I asked via email, point blank, when do you think the fabrics will be in MD and what are the chances they wont be the right material? His reply: Sometime in July, and if you are worried about them being wrong why do business with us anyway? They have been paid in full since March first. So, do I just wait it out till the end of July and hope for the best? Cancel the remaining fabric and ask for the $600.00 or so dollars back and order a similar but incorrect fabric from another vendor? Any advice, opinions and or remedies would be greatly appreciated. Off line emails can be sent the printed correspondences. Thanks, Jim

John #22631

Jim,
Maybe Im wrong, but if it were me I would post the business name so that others might not get taken into their improper business tactics. Though, before putting their name out in the open and bashing them publicly you most likely would like to get your order in your hands first.

They sent you correct samples, you would think they could get the order right considering the amount of money spent with them.

It seems that is now the American way of doing business. Me first and screw you. Pay me now and maybe Ill send the order to you. Its a shame that even a fun hobby has to turn into a nightmare. Good Luck!

John

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Hi John;  Its against the rules to post the name otherwise I would. I have been spanked on this forum and others. I do however, think you are correct.  Jim

Johnny #662

Quote from: Jim Govoni CLC 20546Hi John;  Its against the rules to post the name otherwise I would. I have been spanked on this forum and others. I do however, think you are correct.  Jim

I think the general rule is that there is to be no negative postings of businesses, due to legal problems, but I do believe we are able to post positive posts about businesses, such as I did in recommending FedEx for transporting a car.  Of course there is no rule against private emails to each other.

Jim Govoni

I agree, thats why I let the name out. Anyone interested feel free to email me!  Jim

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Hi Jim! Is that company located in Oregon? Your story sounds familiar to me...

Jim Govoni

It is Roger, do you have any advice? What was your outcome?  Thanks, Jim

Ed Dougher

Its a shame the national club has taken such a stance.  Unfortunately, some of the vendors are very powerful in the club, and the eager hobbyist, who may be new to the hobby, gets taken for a ride.  Ive come very, very close to just letting my membership lapse over this issue.

My suggestion would be to check around with some of the Oldsmobile and Buick vendors.  More often than not, they can supply exactly what you need for a fraction of the price many of the Cadillac vendors try to charge for often incorrect merchandise.

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Well Jim, I had myself not too much trouble with them. They are excessively slow: I ordered some cloth at the end of Nobember 2005 and got it some weeks ago. Of course, my credit card was debited soon after I placed the order...
A friend of mine had touble with them years ago; Im not sure if he even got something back (material or money). I believe that somebody asked a question in this message forum regarding door panel sent to this company; there were many answers mostly not in favor of that supplier.
Its hard to give an advice. Its up to you do decide if the cloth you got is acceptable or not or if you want to wait some more months to get maybe the correct material.
Im locatd in Switzerland; if something goes wrong with a supplier, its just my risk because if the supplier is not cooperative, its usually a total loss: years ago, I saw very nice wheels by an Eldorado Brougham vendor located in Rancho Mirage. A friend of mine wanted such wheels because the ones on his car were not correct. I asked for the wheels, we agreed for a price and the man said he will ship, as I could not take the wheels with me. When the wheels arrived, it was a shock: the chrome was gone, they were pitted, definitively not the wheels I saw. I got no answer to my fax; it was a total loss. I never bought anything more at this location and did a bad publicity...

Good luck,
Roger

Yann Saunders, 12588

Yes, I too had problems in the past with a company in Oregon that used to sell car parts and now sells upholstery supplies. That companys initials rhymes with PMS...

I had a similar negative experience with a well-known CLC member. That was particularly FRUSTRATING since youd think that such a person would set a GOOD example.

Glad Im out of the active collector role. Now I sleep better at night.

H Scott

I dealt with the same infamous company a couple of years ago. They supplied vinyl and made me some door panels. It took lots of emails, phone calls and almost threats, but I finally got what I ordered. I must say the workmanship on the side panels was beautiful to look at, but they put all of the attaching nails in the wrong places, so that made installation an adventure. If you are willing to fight with them long enough, and be selective as to who you talk to on the phone, you will probably get what you ordered, but it sure is a strange way of doing business!

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Many thanks to Harry, Yann, Ed & Roger. I think I will just wait till July 30 or so. I have actually been dealing with the owner himself. Lots of difference that makes! If they wont comply by then I will order the wrong, but similar material from Bill Hirsch in NJ, they at least have it in stock and have a great reputation. As I come close to closing the chapter of restoration on my 53 it has been a wild ride. 80percent good, 20 percent headache. You have to be vigilant, assertive and relentless in getting what you paid for. I am so grateful for the CLC, this forum and my local club. I cant imagine it otherwise! Many thanks to all, Jim