News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Eldorado Collector Series

Started by Tom Eisner, May 30, 2006, 07:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Eisner

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 Eldorado Collector car in Torch Red. The car is pristine and currently sits in a Cadillac dealer showroom. They want top dollar for it. The questions I have range from will this really be the last Eldorado? to will it ever go up in value or at least hold its own? I welcome opinions pro and con.
Thanks

Bruce Nunnally

Cadillac seems fairly set on letters for names (CTS, DTS, XLR) for now.  There is a fairly popular love for the Eldorado name, but I dont see them putting out another one for a while.  Who knows in ten / twenty years of course.
I would recommend the Eldo only if you enjoy it for what it is; there are likely other better investment opportunities.

Johnny #662

Quote from: Bruce NunnallyCadillac seems fairly set on letters for names (CTS, DTS, XLR) for now.  There is a fairly popular love for the Eldorado name, but I dont see them putting out another one for a while.  Who knows in ten / twenty years of course.
I would recommend the Eldo only if you enjoy it for what it is; there are likely other better investment opportunities.

I would agree with Bruce entirely.  There is really no way to know what will be the next hot "collectible".  In 76 when Cadillac announced that the Eldorado would be the last Cadillac convertible, spectulators were scooping them up, and paying above sticker price for them, in the hopes of reaping untold fortunes. Many were having them shipped home, just to keep the mileage down.  Within 6 months they were popping up for sale at double the selling price.  As I remember, they were selling for about $18,000, and most dealers were rounding up to $20,000.  I dont know how many were able to turn a quick profit, but I dont imagine too many.  If these speculators would have take taken the $20,000 and invested it in a low risk mutual fund for 30 years, they would have around $300,000!  Far more then they would have made with the Eldo.  By the way as we all know the 76 was not the last factory Cadillac.  By factory I dont necessarily made in the factory.  I mean a vehicle delivered by a dealer with the factory warranty.

Dick Heller

The Eldorado name will be back.  Ford Thunderbird disappeared and reinvented itself as a retro in 2002 for a limited run.  I see the Eldorado coming back with a 67-70/79-85 look, hopefully with a SIXTEEN engine and hideaway headlights.  Personally, I prefer cars with a Proper name.

Dick.

Jerry

Basically anything labeled as a collectors edition is generally not collectible.

So how is anyones Beany Baby Collection Value these days?  I remember hearing how VALUABLE and collectible that they were.  Boy, am I glad I stuck with my Cadillacs and didnt lose money in that silly scheme.

Johnny #662

Quote from: Dick HellerThe Eldorado name will be back.  Ford Thunderbird disappeared and reinvented itself as a retro in 2002 for a limited run.  I see the Eldorado coming back with a 67-70/79-85 look, hopefully with a SIXTEEN engine and hideaway headlights.  Personally, I prefer cars with a Proper name.

Dick.

Like yourself I prefer Proper names for a car, instead of letters and numbers, but I think it will be sometime before Cadillac goes back to Proper names.  The first indication would be if the imports such as Mercedes starts using names.  Keep in mind that most of us that prefer Proper names, grew up in a different era then today, when affluent buyers gravitate toward luxury cars with numbers and letters.  While I think the 79-85 Eldos are the most beautiful of the name, I dont really see them being retro styled, because of thier somewhat "boxed" styling.  67-70?  Perfect, and I would probably be the first in line.  With the advancement in enginering in car engines, and the with the current state of concern about fuel consumption, I dont see any V-16s in the future for the standard Cadillac line.

mike baillargeon #15848

I also liked the proper names of our Cadillacs, but the word from GMs marketing dept was that the buying public was not using the word Cadillac. They would say I like the Deville, or the Eldorado, Seville etc. The Cadillac name got lost. The Letters & numbers of the model keep people saying BMW 7 series, Saub 900S, Cadillac CTS. It sort of makes sence.

I am an Eldorado fan, and I wonder why Cadillac dumped such an important flag ship symbol like Eldorado after a 49 year run and not after 50 years. It probably leaves the door open for a future 50th aniversary Eldorado XYZ someday.

Torch Red??  I thought Cadillac made 1500+ collector Eldorados in 2002. The 1st 532 in Alpine White the next 532 in Aztec Red and the last 532 in Alpine white again. These colors were used on the 1st Eldos in 1953.      Alpine White????????   Why didnt they use some of the other 1953 Eldorado colors like Azure Blue, Artisian Ochre. These colors would have sent the Eldorado name out with a bang!!!!  Im sure the Alpine White didnt offend anyone in the focus group at todays Cadillac.  

Will we ever see another Harley Earl again or is he too risky??????