News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Convertible top is shrinking

Started by Lucas F. CLC #15674, May 30, 2006, 08:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas F. CLC #15674

I have noticed lately that if I put the convertible top down on my 1963 Series 62 convertible and leave it down all day it is hard to get the top to latch when I put it up for the night. It is almost like the top shrinks slightly while it is down. The "shrinking" gets worse if there is a change in temperature (warm day, cool evening). If the top is down for only a few hours then it goes right back up with no problem.

Since the top is at least 8 years old and has a few small holes in it, I am thinking of replacing it. What is the best top material to use? Functionality is more important to me than originality. Ideally I am looking for a top that will not shrink over a period of a few hours.

Lucas F. CLC #15674
1963 Series 62 convertible

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Lucas,

The only way to keep a top in good condition is to only put it up or down when the sun has been on it to warm it up.   This might mean waiting till the next day to put it up if you get home too late in the day and the sun has gone down.

What causes them to shrink is the putting down in the heat of the day, and putting them up after it has cooled down.   The material doesnt get the chance to "stretch itself" back into shape.

A mate with a 64 Ford Galaxie Convertible once wouldnt put his top up all winter as it was too cold to do because he got home in the dark, and the weather turned bad for a couple of weeks.   When the weather came good, he left the car in the sun for a couple of hours with the boot removed, and the top came up just like it was sopposed to.

He has had the car since 1965, and only replaced the top 2 years ago.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Joe R #20442

I seem to have the opposite problem.  My top goes up and down regardless of the temp, but I have terrible flapping noise at highway speed.  The top is in good shape otherwise.  I dont know if it was a cheap top the previous owner put on, or if it was just cut too loose.

Is the flapping noise common in those years? (mine is also a 63) Should the top fit so tight that you cant put it up cold?

Joe

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Hi Joe

The flapping is perfectly normal. In fact, the whole car will be noisy with the top up at highway speeds, as the entire convertible top frame is flexing and groaning when the car is in motion. You can cut down the noise somewhat by unzipping the rear window and letting the air flow through the car. Just make sure your latches are tight and in good condition! I had a latch break once and almost lost the entire top.

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Thanks Bruce

I need to put the top up at night when I am away from my beloved garage, which is why I run into this situation. I consulted a convertible parts supplier and they told me that canvas was the least likely to shrink; they said vinyl actually shrinks quite a bit when cold.

Its not really a big problem but I hate straining the top pump and cylinders.

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

I found the best way to stop the flapping with my 55 Chev Convertible was to equalise the pressure by slightly opening the front quartervent window.

This also stopped the bellying of the top between the header bar and the first bow.

Not sure what one would do in these modern cars withour quartervents.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

denise 20352

Maybe the top is shrinking, but have you stopped to consider that maybe the rest of the car is growing?

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Yes, the fins are up to my chest now and I think there is a third set of headlights growing in.

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Quentin Hall Australia

Must say I enjoyed the last two posts. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where he gets all neurotic about painting his livingroom as the thickness of the paint will actually make the room smaller.

Rhino 21150

Rhino 21150

Lower one of the rear windows just a bit.  Drivers side seems to add less noise than passengers side. My hot rod Corvair had straps to pull the top tight against the roll bar. Not many cars have those, either.

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Last night I arrived home late after a day at the beach. The top wouldnt go up the last half-inch or so and I was unable to engage the latches. Instead of forcing it I left it up but unlatched, came back 20 minutes later and was able to latch the top.

Moral of the story: Putting up the top as far as you can will allow the vinyl to relax and stretch on its own without necessarily waiting for the sun again.

Hope this helps anyone who has experienced this minor difficulty.

Lucas F. CLC #15674