News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Battery cables

Started by Doug 16070, June 02, 2006, 10:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug 16070

After looking at my owners manual & seeing a photo of battery & cables, my 1st assumption was wrong. Looks as if neg. cable goes toward fender & around to a ground. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks
  Doug

wm link

The neg cable should go directly to the frame rail...there should also be a short braided cable that grounds the engine, through the starter mounting, to the frame rail.

Doug 16070

Both cables have a small wire attached to battery end of cables, nothing braided. What do you consider the frame rail?

wm link

Those pigtails on the ends can be usefull to run a ground to the core support on the negative cable or a power supply on the positive cable. The frame rail is part of the main frame...the negative cable is bolted forward of the suspension on the right rail...below the battery. The engine is mounted in rubber to the frame...so to be grounded properly a separate cable (often braded) is used at the starter MOUNTING and then directly over to the frame rail. Quite ofen people think that starter ground cable is not needed and therefore they do not reconnect it...often just throwing it away. Make sure your car has that ground connection at the starter...or it will cause you host of problems.

Doug 16070

Wm,
   Thanks for your info. When I take the battery Illlook under battery tray for neg. cable hookup. The braided strap Ive seen on cars before, Ill check that also. I e-mailed the tech at CLC website toget his imput on this subject also.Appreciate your quick response again thank you. In your opinion, should the small wire on neg. cable be grounded to engine?

wm link

I would run the neg. pigtail to the core support as added insurance since its there.

Doug 16070

Wm.,
  I got my new battery installed yesterday. Everything seems to be fine. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.Sure looks nice. Have a great day.
  Doug 16070