News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What happened to Radio & Wheelcover World in Sterling Heights, MI?

Started by Chip (CLC 21875), June 03, 2006, 04:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip (CLC 21875)

Radio & Wheelcover World on 2718 Koper Dr. in Sterling Heights, MI, used to have 6 Volt Positive Ground cassette tape players that they called "Collector Car Cassette."  These nifty units had a 1400 kHz output frequency, so they worked perfectly with an AM radio.  

Whatever happened to that store?  The 977-7979 phone number no longer works and Internet searches yielded no results.  Does anyone know whether they still exist?

Sue 5125

The area codes have changed a couple times in that area so I thought that maybe you werent dialing the current one (586) but I tried it and the message indicates that number has been disconnected.  

I havent heard anything about them lately either. Good luck!

Bruce Berghoff - #1476

Hey Chip... Radio & Wheelcover World changed their name over 10 years ago to The Classic Car Radio Company and continued doing business at the same address as a mail order only business. The owner continued to be John Shelton as far as I know, and he might still be around. Perhaps you can trace him through Google ? Good Luck ! Bruce

Rhino 21150

You might try calling the Chamber of Commerce in Sterling Heights or as a last resort, the business licence department in that city.

Chip (CLC 21875)

Sadly, they seem to have disappeared.  No one knows of their whereabouts -- I have tried just about everything to find them.

Who makes 6V electronic equipment with 1400 kHz (or similar) output frequencies these days?  I would love to have a CD player that broadcasts Glenn Miller to my 1941 Cadillac AM radio.

If anyone has any names of manufacturers, please let me know.  THANKS!

Chip
CLC 21875

Bruce B. _ CLC # 1476

Chip... Dont give up yet !   Give Dan Schultz at Antique Automobile Radio Inc. in Palm Harbor, FL. a call at (800) WE FIX AM ( what ever that transposes to ) ?  Dan has all sorts of marvelous things ! BB

Bill Gauch

You could always make your own transmitter. If you search on google for an AM transmitter, you will find a bunch of them. Alternately, there is always the kit route. Of course, you may find it difficult to find one that runs on 6 VDC. Alternately, if you can find a 12 VDC AM transmitter, I know there are 6 VDC to 12 VDC converters. This would be a good thing for a lot of people who might want 12 VDC electronics. Another possible solution would be to take your radio to someone (or do it yourself if you have the ability) and have them install an RCA jack as an input. Then, you could plug anything into it. My final solution is to find someplace that still broadcasts music on AM radio. If you find one, it will almost certainly be from the Glenn Millter era. :)

Rhino 21150

You would be better off buying a six volt CD player that is portable (boom box). Six volt would be four AA, C, or D batteries. Instead of hooking it up to the AM radio you could have a local installer put a jack on your radios SPEAKER. That way when you plug in the boom box the built in radio goes quiet. And the radio still works in normal fashion with the box unplugged.