News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Painting rechromed parts

Started by Michael Brittan CLC#2750, June 05, 2006, 12:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Brittan CLC#2750

I have had the parking light assemblies for my 48 rechromed.  The area around the parking lights is grooved, and the grooves were originally white.  How does one get paint to stick to the new chrome in the grooves?  I would imagine there is a procedure to paint in the depressions while the raised portions remain unpainted, but I am reluctant to mess with it in the absence of some expert input.  Help!

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Michael,

I recently had the same issue with the chrome halo molding around the edge of my vinyl roof. I taped the surrounding area with regular thickness masking tape. I then scratched the area to be painted with steel wool or 600 or 800 grit paper. Remove the masking tape and reapply a thin or fine line masking tape being certain that the edge next to the paint is down tight. I applied Eastwood’s Self Etching Primer and as soon as it dried I applied the color coat.  Carefully remove the masking tape before the color coat dries. Depending on the area you need to paint you may want to spray using an airbrush rather than straight out of the spray can.
Don’t be discouraged if some edges are ragged and need to be redone. I had to do some pieces two twice. It’s not necessarily you……the paint can have  a mind of it’s own.

HTH,
Ralph

Wayne Womble 12210

I recomend a very light coat of Zinc Chromate primer. You can find it in spray cans at marine stores.

Jack Carroll #18687

Michael, Ive had good results with the following.
         1. Mask the edges with 3M fineline tape. Its thin and doesnt allow a thick edge biuld up of material at your mask line
         2. After lightly scuffing the area to be painted with
            600-800 paper prime the area with a light coat of
            PPG #DPX 171 self etching primer. I use a small
            touch-up gun so I can get just a light coat.
         3. Then paint you color.
         4. When the color coat drys, remove the masking tape
            by pulling it away from the fron the mask line
            at a 90 degree angle.
         5. If you do get any jaggys along the mask line
            and since your masking a resessed area, you can
            use a sharp X-Acto knife and lightly scape a
            clean edge on the tangent of top edge of the
            groove [ your maskline ]. Again scape it on an
            angle away fron the maskline as not to chip the
            paint
         6. On small parts ie. nameplates I will clear coat
            the entire part with PPG 2021 urathane clear

Good Luck
Jack Carroll

Michael Brittan CLC#2750

Ralph, Wayne and Jack:

Many thanks for all the input.  Its a privilege being able to tap such expertise.  Given the number of ridges and depressions in the parking light assemblies, it looks like I am going to have my work cut out if I want originality!  I presume the original supplier of the parts to Cadillac had their templates on the rack.  Thanks again.

Michael