News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

what is it worth???

Started by mark, June 06, 2006, 12:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark

Hi,I found a 1940 formal sedan look all original style#40-7559 and it runs. what would it be worth??? An old lady has it and i would not want to steal it from her. thanks mark

Bill Gauch

It entirely depends on condition. A bad condition car, even if it was all original, would be worth not much more than scrap metal prices. A fully restorable car in great condition would be worth at least a few thousand. A true survivor car in top running condition could be worth 10s of thousands or more for the right collector. Generally, a decent condition car would be a couple thousand dollars. Some people are delusional and think their cars are worth insane amounts of money for a given condition. There was a recent listing on eBay that someone wanted $3500 minimum for a car that had been rolled and partially stripped for parts. Anyway, I think you should ask her what she wants for it. If she says an amount that is ridiculously low, keep a straight face, pay her and call the tow truck in. If she asks for a "reasonable" price, counter with a 10-20percent reduction and walk away happy that you didnt screw her over. If she asks for a ridiculously high price, knock 50-75percent off for a counter and walk away insulted. :)

Yann Saunders, 12588

Only 48 were built. Consider it a "desirable" (and usually reliable) car. If it runs and appears original, as you say, she could easily get $20-25K for it (I got that for my 42-7519F formal sedan in similar condition - only 65 built). If shes asking for anything less than $20K, JUMP ON IT.