News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2006 Grand National

Started by Jim Jordan, June 11, 2006, 02:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jordan

I just was able to change my work schedule and move the closing of my house up three days to allow me to attend the Grand National but it appears I cant register now since the deadline was May 25.  Is it possible to register at the show?  I am not bringing a car, just a guest.  Similar circumstances allowed me to attend a  previous grand national at the last minute and I was treated so rudely when i tried to register that I didnt renew my membership for over a year.

Is it possible to register on-site or to just show up and view the cars?

I dont want to make anyone angry this year.

Jim Jordan

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Jim,

I think that the biggest problem with late Registration is that there isnt any capacity to allow for the total re-arranging of all the arrangements that have been laid, especially in relation to the car-parking.

Also, there wouldnt be any stare "Goodie Bags" as these would have had to be obtained for the numbers that had registered, plus there wouldnt be any room for extras on the tours, as they are usually booked out.

But, I cant see where you would be barred from going along and actually "having a squiz" at all the cars in the parking areas.

You might even be welcomed.

But, alas, I dont think you will be able to Register.   The Organisers will have too much on their plates to be wanting to handle the extra paperwork, etc, and if they do it for you, then they would have to do it for everyone that wanted to "Late Enter"

Hope that helps a bit.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   If I have trod on any of the Organisers toes, or put a nose or two out of joint, then I apologise.

Jim Jordan

I realize that there is lots of advance planning to get cars situated and goodie bags prepared and am willing to omit that as long as I get to see the cars.

Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Jim,

You will get to see the cars, and on any day that the cars are there.

The Display areas are open to the public, and are totally free.

You only just have to walk up to a fellow CLC Member, introduce yourself and your family and friends and I am sure that you will be welcomed with open arms.

Go and enjoy yourself.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Johnny #662

>Similar circumstances allowed me to attend a previous grand national at the last minute and I was treated so rudely when i tried to register that I didnt renew my membership for over a year.<

I hope you reported this to the "hierarchy" of the club.  I dont believe there is any room for rudeness in this club.  Having helped run a Grand National, I am aware of the logistics of "putting on a show", with all the constant attending to details, especially with an event of this magnitude.  Still courtesy should not be put on the back burner.  

Erik LaValle

Hey Jim - I am planning to attend as well, just as a viewer, so hope to see you there!
Note - I also was able to register at the hotel, at a rate of $5 more than the negotiated rate, just a week ago, so I dont know that its a big a deal as indicated.

Johnny #662

Quote from: Erik LaValleHey Jim - I am planning to attend as well, just as a viewer, so hope to see you there!
Note - I also was able to register at the hotel, at a rate of $5 more than the negotiated rate, just a week ago, so I dont know that its a big a deal as indicated.

Theres an endless amount of work involved in hosting a Grand National.  Its much more then Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney saying "Lets put on a show". Some 20 years ago, I helped do our regions Grand National.  I handled mostly "gopher" tasks, and let the better qualified handle the more intricate details. From the first day when the first car arrives, till the last day when the last car leaves, its non stop "hosting".  Through the years the event has gotten bigger and more complex, with planning starting years in advance.  It might seem like its a simple thing to "Pay your $2.00" and join in the fun.  Trust me its much more then that for the people hosting.  Usually most side trips are already fully booked, and the caterer has the number that will be attending the awards banquet.  This is not to say, that sometimes a little extra room might be available, I am just saying dont count on it.  When our region hosted the Grand National in the mid 80s we went the extra mile to accomodate the "walk-ins" and I dont believe we had to turn away anyone.  Of course in the ensuing years the events have gotten bigger and bigger and adding people at the last minute has become more difficult.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Johnny, youre absolutely correct. Been there, done that! When youve worked hard for months, its hard to feel sorry for "last minute" people. Bob